Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

xrandr in Awesome: Trying to align two monitors to each other

I am trying to find a way to align these monitors to each other, but I a unable to find a way to do this.

As you see from my sketch, this is the way my monitors are placed. I have rotated the right screen but any windows I move over will emerge at the very top of the right screen as illustrated in red...

Does anyone know a way to do this using xrandr? I have tried arandr and lxrandr and they were both too simple to address this problem. I know there are better tools like nvidia twinview or tools in within Gnome or KDE to handle these issues but I use Awesome and do not whish to install all of KDE or Gnome to handle this...

Problem uploading files (?)

sharing file via other site:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johanlindgren; 05-29-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johanlindgren View Post
    I have tried arandr and lxrandr and they were both too simple to address this problem.
    are you sure you tried arandr's drag'n'drop functionality?
    you can move the monitors around.
    I am not a "Linux Guru"! Get off me! The Forum software won't let me change it!
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire | How to Use Code Tags
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it.

Yes, that's true that you can move the monitors around in arandr - however, when you do that you only move the desktop out of the screen. It looked at first just as what I needed but it only moved the desktop inside the virtual resolution (screen #1 + screen #2).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I have heard, however that it might be possible to "extract" the xrandr parameters from a setup, and if so, I can boot a fedora live-cd, move the monitor settings according to my setup and "extract" the xrandr setting... however I have not had this confirmed yet (it sounds to me a little bit to good to be true) but if someone knows about this, them please share

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk