Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

xrandr in Awesome: Trying to align two monitors to each other

I am trying to find a way to align these monitors to each other, but I a unable to find a way to do this.

As you see from my sketch, this is the way my monitors are placed. I have rotated the right screen but any windows I move over will emerge at the very top of the right screen as illustrated in red...

Does anyone know a way to do this using xrandr? I have tried arandr and lxrandr and they were both too simple to address this problem. I know there are better tools like nvidia twinview or tools in within Gnome or KDE to handle these issues but I use Awesome and do not whish to install all of KDE or Gnome to handle this...

Problem uploading files (?)

sharing file via other site:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johanlindgren; 05-29-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johanlindgren View Post
    I have tried arandr and lxrandr and they were both too simple to address this problem.
    are you sure you tried arandr's drag'n'drop functionality?
    you can move the monitors around.
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it!

Yes, that's true that you can move the monitors around in arandr - however, when you do that you only move the desktop out of the screen. It looked at first just as what I needed but it only moved the desktop inside the virtual resolution (screen #1 + screen #2).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I have heard, however that it might be possible to "extract" the xrandr parameters from a setup, and if so, I can boot a fedora live-cd, move the monitor settings according to my setup and "extract" the xrandr setting... however I have not had this confirmed yet (it sounds to me a little bit to good to be true) but if someone knows about this, them please share

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk