Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I asked that each partition be formatted with ext4 other than swap and the installation program didn't do that. Half the problem is all the different file systems. It would be better to just have it all use ntfs.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxBeatsMe View Post
    I asked that each partition be formatted with ext4 other than swap and the installation program didn't do that. Half the problem is all the different file systems. It would be better to just have it all use ntfs.
    I have no clue of what you just said. You want Linux to be on ext4? That's OK. You cannot have Linux on NTFS, it does not support UNIX permissions.

I just want to restore myu MBR

I do NOT want to use GRUB. I just want to boot to Windows, then somehow chain over to Linux. This was my first idea. I just don't want to use GRUB. I think it's a bad tool because it always leads to failure. It doesn't even know how to provide error feedback when it leaves out insmod and it doesn't know how to write the grub2.cfg file. It didn't even write the file and it gave no error feedback.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I just need to be able to run the command FixMBR, then I will have to reinstall Redhat or at least fix it up - but I want all the bootloaders gone. I can simply boot using Windows MBR and use a trick to get it to boot to Linux. Maybe some later machine I'll use GRUB. I was mentioning NTFS, because I want to be able to run a FIXMBR command but I can't do it!

I cannot get into either Linux or Windows. It would be great if I could access my installation files which are on the NTFS drive, and possible on a fat - I'll check this. So that I can create a bootable media or simply run the install. But I cannot do that. All I have now is a grub rescue prompt which is a waste of time. Grub does not work. I want grub out!

It really has not much to do with Linux. Why don't you use Hiren CD or similar to fix your Windows? Don't they have Windows forums for such questions?

Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

I gave up on multi-booting via lilo or grub years ago. There is a "simple procedure", "The controlling boot loader is not attached to any operating system" at How to install and boot 145 operating systems in a PC -- but it uses grub2.

The next step for me was hard-disk trays, or caddies. That allowed me to separate OSs easily.

However, with current technology, it is much easier to use Virtual Machines to deal with multiple instances of OSs on a single machine, with added advantage that you can run multiple instances simultaneously.

However, as a solution in your situation. I recommend that you consider hard disk caddies -- especially if you are using very old revs of the OSs. For example: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ard+disk+caddy

Good luck ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Grub2 may be intimidating and I personally do not like it because it is almost as an OS already, but it can be used if you edit the cfg manually. What screws it up is the automated configuration script, it should be avoided. In Grub2 manual even developers recommend manual configuration over automated. With manual configuration Grub2 is as easy to configure as it was with legacy Grub.