Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I just installed Redhat 7.2 dvd 3.9GB iso

The machine does NOT have a DVD nor Internet so I used a USB stick and was able to get it installed by using the dd command on another machine to copy the .iso to the flash stick.

I would like to install more stuff - so I 've created a repo at /mnt/repo, and I've created a yum file in yum.repos.d called rhel7.repo.

And I've created a mount point and everything so I can call yum install "stuff". What I don't know is what to put in for stuff. I would like xwindows. How can I install XWindows and can someone just briefly go over the command to make it start xwindows on my next boot up? I have it listed on my computer so this last request is not that important. Also, how to I start the Redhat Subscription Manager so it will let me do updates from my local repo.

I had to reverse my hard-drive cables so that I can get it to boot into Linux. The grub process did not work properly. Now that I've done that I can boot into Linux fine but I cannot
    boot into Windows anymore. I think I just need to chanbe hd0,msdos1 to something else (like hd1, something). Then I can restore that ability perhaps. Right now I can only boot
    into Redhat Linux. I've lost Windows temporarily.

I tried changing the number in the set root command to 1 rather than 0. This is loigcal since my Windows OS is on sdb1 now while my Linux is the one on sda1. But it still always jumps back to Linux.
    Is there a command I can run that will tell update Grub based on the hard-drive switched cables and fix everything?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Should I change msdos1 to msdos2?

I feel that my old boot.ini for the Windows boot-loader had said partition(2). I'll have to check on this.

I have now set the cables back to the original way and it boots up into Windows, but no Grub, no Linux, just Windows usual
    boot.ini stuff. So I have to figure out how to get Linux's grub to get into the action. I have no idea what's wrong.

I have run /usr/sbin/grub2-install /dev/sda but it did not create a grub2.cfg file despite "no errors reported". ??? Not sure why.

What is it, a blog?
    Anyhow, I had Windows once. It was about 15 years ago. It did not boot from anything but the first hard drive. A Microsoft thing. In the bootloader configuration, there was an option to deceive Windows into believing it is on first drive, although it wasn't. I have no clue how Windows behaves nowadays.

I don't think it's a "blog", it's desperate help because I don't expect that every single piece of software I install will always malfunction and I don't know enough at this point, to fix it. So I ask someone who might know more. I don't think someone should have to troubleshoot for so many days to make these operating systems boot. Now I have to get a Windows XP disk, repair my boot sector, and start over and research why it's not working. That could take long time! Too much time! The Redhat software should NOT EVER ruin your master boot record. It's NOT my fault!

Why doesn't Redhat back up the boot record? and allow a restore of it. I'm angry and justifiably so.

I am looking for xp_rec_con.iso

This might get my MBR and/or boot.ini back.

-->
    If you need help then you have to tell us what version of Windows, is it BIOS/MBR our UEFI. Since now you have mentioned it is XP it is safe to assume you are booting in BIOS mode. Dual booting with two hard drives in BIOS mode used to be real simple. First, you connect one drive and install Linux on it. Then you disconnect it and install Windows on another drive so it thinks it has been installed on first drive (sda). Then you connect both drives, make sure Linux with GRUB or Lilo (or whatever bootloader you are using) is the first drive and configure the booloader to swap the BIOS drives for Windows and chainload its bootloader. Done.