Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Linux User CarterCox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    252

    Tiling like Windows?


    Is there a windows manager that has the same tiling system as Windows?

  2. #2
    Linux Guru Segfault's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Acadiana
    Posts
    2,180
    Windows? I had once Windows, it was the latest and greatest they had, Windows XP. I do not remember it having any tiling. You should describe what you want, not to point to some other application you happen to know.

  3. #3
    Linux User CarterCox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    252
    Windows 10 WM is like Cinnamon's or Xfce's WM, but dynamic. The size of the window adapts to the free space, so if a window covers 70% of the screen on the left side, dragging a window to the right side will fizz the remaining 30%, not the default 50%.

    Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    "My common sense is tingling."

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,747
    ^ that sounds like a nice feature.
    personally i never liked the mouse-dragging-edge-hitting thingy, but of course a feature like that could be assigned to a keyboard shortcut.

    all in all, i think openbox is still the best manual tiling windowmanager, but i do not remember this exact functionality.
    doesn't mean it isn't possible.

    i suggest you search and ask some more, but look for the actual feature, do NOT ask "how to make it exactly like on windows 10".
    you will definitely find something.

  6. #5
    Linux User CarterCox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    252
    I've messed with the settings in Openbox (the file written in HTML) and as far as I know there is no way to make it behave like that. Not to mention that you have to use the keyboard...

  7. #6
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,747
    it's actually XML, but close enough.
    this is something that can be achieved natively:
    https://abchk1234.wordpress.com/2015...nd-xfwm4-xfce/
    there's ways to make openbox behave exactly the way you desire:
    tip-opensnap | Lubuntu
    https://github.com/lawl/opensnap
    but, afaics, xfwm4 would be better suited because it supports windows-like mouse-dragging-and-snapping ootb.

  8. #7
    Linux User CarterCox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    it's actually XML, but close enough.
    this is something that can be achieved natively: [...]
    there's ways to make openbox behave exactly the way you desire: [...]
    but, afaics, xfwm4 would be better suited because it supports windows-like mouse-dragging-and-snapping ootb.
    Great! So it's called AeroSnap... That's very good to know! I am using LM Cinnamon now so I'll start searching for something for Cinnamon.

    Thank you very much for the assistance. Made my life easier

    Thanks!

    Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    "My common sense is tingling."

  9. #8
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10
    Yeah, Windows 10 WM is pretty helpful

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •