Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Extremely thin DE

Hello! I just installed Debian with nothing but the system itself, and I want to install a DE (not just a WM) that doesn't have all the related rubbish (like LibreOffice, PDF Viewers, etc.). I don't even want a File Manager, but it wouldn't bother me as long as I can change it (if I can't it's fine too).

I did some research and searched the available packages using apt search and various names I could come up with and found LXDE-Core, LXQt-Core and some other things. Now the question:

Is there a better option than LXDE-Core (since LXDE uses less RAM than LXQt)?

LXDE-SuperCore perhaps? (jk)

I appreciate the help!

Quote Originally Posted by CarterCox View Post
    Is there a better option than LXDE-Core (since LXDE uses less RAM than LXQt)?
    Oh my, which one is the best?!? Let me tell you... ha ha ha - you'll get a bunch of passionate answers I'm sure! Good luck.

When you get to the light-weight desktops, the common mentions are LXDE and XFCE... but there are others if you go poke around. The problem is that some of the rare types will not be standard installs, and often don't integrate seamlessly into the rest of the system. It depends what you are tying to achieve?? Do you have a kiosk app?

What's the advantage of a DE over WM? I use plain OpenBox and do not miss anything. Well, I do miss the bloat.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by sarlacii View Post
    Oh my, which one is the best?!? Let me tell you... ha ha ha - you'll get a bunch of passionate answers I'm sure! Good luck.

When you get to the light-weight desktops, the common mentions are LXDE and XFCE... but there are others if you go poke around. The problem is that some of the rare types will not be standard installs, and often don't integrate seamlessly into the rest of the system. It depends what you are tying to achieve?? Do you have a kiosk app?
    I don't mean "best" in that sense. I mean, is there something smaller, leaner, faster and with less crapware?
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    What's the advantage of a DE over WM? I use plain OpenBox and do not miss anything. Well, I do miss the bloat.
    I like having the menu bar and the desktop. I find it easier to manage windows when I have the menu bar. I don't like that when you minimze the window it becomes "invisible". I prefer seeing which windows I have open and which ones need attention.

I don't consider the menu bar and a few other utilities to be bloat, as long as it stops there.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Yea I added tint2 and wbar to my OpenBox, could have added idesk too, but I do not have any use for desktop icons.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Yea I added tint2 and wbar to my OpenBox, could have added idesk too, but I do not have any use for desktop icons.
    That's a fantastic idea. I could just get Openbox and a menu bar... Maybe a desk too... I don't use desktop icons at all either. I only use the desktop for the wallpaper!

Although I'd rather a tiling manager. Fluxbox maybe? I'll do some research on that.

Good idea Segfault.

Screenshot: http://www.asclinux.com/tmp/Openbox.png
    You can see tint2 with clock and volume control, wbar in the right for most used apps, conky for fun.

Linux User
    How can you set that wallpaper? I though that was possible only with a desktop... Great! Is it the WM?

By the way, I'm looking for a normal╣ menu bar. Which one would you recommend? Can you add a Menu▓ to tint2 or wbar?

Do you use a File Manager? I was thinking pcmanFM because it's the default in LXDE so I figured it's lightweight, you know? I'll also need a terminal emulator, I'll probably get Terminator.

---

╣: Like the ones you find in Cinnamon, KDE, LXDE, etc..
    ▓: The little icon where you click and it shows installed apps and maybe some categories. I clarify because I don't know if that's the name.

#Off topic: are you using Gentoo? Was it a lot of work to get it up and running? Is it worth the trouble?

There is feh for wallpaper. Right-click menu is OK with me as it comes with OpenBox. I'm using Thunar and plain xterm.
    Gentoo is DIY Linux, so yes, it takes time to put it together the way you want. Have had it exclusively in all my desktops/laptops since 2004. Once you get familiar with Gentoo it does not take more time than any other OS to maintain. Tip: you do not have to watch it compiling, it will do just fine in its own.
    For other add-ons and improvements you have to do your own research.
    BTW, thunar can be used for automounting, you have to run it in background as daemon for that (I'm not doing it).

Linux User
    -->
    So without Thunar's automounting feature I would have to mount my devices manually?