Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    271

    Thumbs up Make Cinnamon do what Windows does


    Hi! I am using Cinnamon (LM 18.3) right now. The thing I like the most is the snapping, makes me not miss Windows that much. However, there is something missing that Windows (as in MS Windows) can do:

    When I snap a window (let's say to the right half) and resize it (by expanding or shrinking it from the left side only) and I snap a new window to the left, this new window will take 50% of the screen, which sucks, because one of two things will happen:


    1- It will cover my window on the right partially (If I expanded the right window initially):




    2- It will leave an empty space (If I shrunk the right window initially):




    The way Windows would work is different. I would snap the window not to cover 50% of the screen, but to cover what's free, like this:




    Also, if both are already snapped and fitting 100% of the screen, and I were to resize one of them, the other one would adjust automatically and follow it. Now the big question:

    Is there any way to make Cinnamon behave this way?

    Thank you very much for your time!

  2. #2
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,747

    Problem #1: Linux isn't exactly the same as Windows.

    Linux is NOT Windows

    get over it.
    it will never be EXACTLY like what you are used to.
    take a leap, learn something new.
    maybe one day you'll enjoy using a real tiling wm.

  3. #3
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    Linux is NOT Windows

    get over it.
    it will never be EXACTLY like what you are used to.
    take a leap, learn something new.
    maybe one day you'll enjoy using a real tiling wm.
    Of course I don't expect it to be exactly like Windows. Otherwise I'd be complaining that <insert literally any good software here> and <insert literally any good PC game here> are not properly usable in Linux. I don't mind that. I understand that it's not the developers' fault, and if they could do anything about it, I'm sure they would.

    On the other hand, this is kinda their fault. I don't think that proper window snapping is too much to ask... In fact, I'm not even asking for that. I'm asking for a way to do it myself.

    The only reason I installed Linux is because I don't really need to use this computer for anything important. Otherwise I would have installed Windows. I'm using Linux in an old Laptop, which means I'm using it for "office" stuff, like web browsing and maybe to read and manipulate documents.

    By the way, what would be a real tiling WM in your opinion? Is Cinnamon too "mainstream"?

    Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,747
    Quote Originally Posted by CarterCox View Post
    On the other hand, this is kinda their fault. I don't think that proper window snapping is too much to ask... In fact, I'm not even asking for that. I'm asking for a way to do it myself.
    and there we go again...
    not too much to ask? says someone who has how much coding experience exactly?
    and is going to contribute how exactly?

    yes, you are asking for a way to do it yourself, but you don't seem to be putting in any effort yourself.
    i remember answering a very similar question very recently (i think on these forums). search "aerosnap".

    all in all i'm reminded of the customer mentality which was also mentioned in that same article i linked:
    Problem #3: Culture shock

    Windows users are more or less in a customer-supplier relationship: They pay for software, for warranties, for support, and so on. They expect software to have a certain level of usability. They are therefore used to having rights with their software: They have paid for technical support and have every right to demand that they receive it. They are also used to dealing with entities rather than people: Their contracts are with a company, not with a person.

    Linux users are in more of a community. They don't have to buy the software, they don't have to pay for technical support. They download software for free & use Instant Messaging and web-based forums to get help. They deal with people, not corporations.

    A Windows user will not endear himself by bringing his habitual attitudes over to Linux, to put it mildly.

  6. #5
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    and there we go again...
    not too much to ask? says someone who has how much coding experience exactly?
    and is going to contribute how exactly?

    yes, you are asking for a way to do it yourself, but you don't seem to be putting in any effort yourself.
    i remember answering a very similar question very recently (i think on these forums). search "aerosnap".

    all in all i'm reminded of the customer mentality which was also mentioned in that same article i linked:
    Every time someone says Linux distros lack something, you are answered the same way: How did you contribute? How much did you pay for it?

    It's as if I offered free cars and then I deliver them without a radio or tires. And when people ask me why I say "I don't remember you paying me for it" or "Did you ever build a car?". Why did I offer a car if I wasn't going to do the bare minimum? Or at least hear what the people that received it have to say?

    The problem is that Linux developers expect to be regarded as saints and be addressed with the utmost respect, because they do that they do for free. As if someone was going to miss them if they didn't.

    Since you seem to believe I'm not willing to put any work in, let me tell you my experience with Openbox. I thought it was lacking some sort of snapping, so I asked in the Ubuntu forums, and I was told to edit a specific file in ~/.config/openbox/ and I was referred to the Openbox documentation. I never coded in XML (in fact, I didn't even know it was XML until you told me in the thread you are referring to, I thought it was HTML) but I still configured it the way I wanted by myself and shared what it did. That may not seem like much, but I'm not a programmer, I'm just trying to demonstrate that I'm willing to put work in, I just don't know where to start right now.

    Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    271
    Just in case you or anyone else can help me, here is more information on how i works: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...ows-in-a-snap/

    Quote from the site on the part I care about:

    Snap Fill
    Snapping into perfect quarters or halves of the screen is useful, but sometimes optimal layouts arenít necessarily symmetrical. You might want to make your browser window large and windows showing your social feed or playing a video small. These kinds of tweaks typically take a number of mouse moves to accomplish to get everything just right. In Windows 8, side-by-side Store apps automatically filled up the available space on screen without leaving any gaps, making the most of available screen real estate.

    In Windows 10, we wanted to bring this improvement to the desktop, making snapping more intelligent with any app. When you snap a window and resize it, the system takes note of your action. When you then snap a second window, the system will optimize its size to automatically fill up the available space. Itís a subtle feature, but comes in handy when you snap a lot of windows or have complex layouts involving a mix of half and quarter snapped windows.

  8. #7
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,747
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    i remember answering a very similar question very recently (i think on these forums). search "aerosnap".
    you chose to ignore this bit.

  9. #8
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    you chose to ignore this bit.
    No, I said I remember the thread. Here:

    Quote Originally Posted by CarterCox View Post
    (in fact, I didn't even know it was XML until you told me in the thread you are referring to, I thought it was HTML)
    But it was about Openbox. I'm talking about Cinnamon now. There is not much stuff on Cinnamon.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by CarterCox View Post

    It's as if I offered free cars and then I deliver them without a radio or tires. And when people ask me why I say "I don't remember you paying me for it" or "Did you ever build a car?". Why did I offer a car if I wasn't going to do the bare minimum? Or at least hear what the people that received it have to say?

    The problem is that Linux developers expect to be regarded as saints and be addressed with the utmost respect, because they do that they do for free. As if someone was going to miss them if they didn't.

    Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    That's simply not true. You get code. Maybe some distros compile it and put in some repositories... But you can modify that code.

    You've to read the whole documentation. Or ask the developer.... Why not!


    You might try wm3. Is f*cking customizable.


    Dont be rude guys this is not whatever linux kernel forum with Torvald writing by.







    Enviado desde mi Aquaris X5 mediante Tapatalk

  11. #10
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    271
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by danichan View Post
    That's simply not true. You get code. Maybe some distros compile it and put in some repositories... But you can modify that code.
    Yeah and that's what I'm asking for. I'm not a programmer, so I need some guidance on doing it. Hence the post.

    But mentioning Windows in a Linux forum is like jumping in a river filled with baby piranhas. And gets worth if you say that certain Linux software is missing some features.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •