Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: Gnome 3.xxx

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gnome 3.xxx

I am using Ubuntu 17.10. Not because I like it. I don't. Ubuntu is moving in a Microsoft direction with it's data mining for marketing BS. No sensible person would agree with that. I use Ubuntu only because it has a feature that I have not seen anywhere else. It uses Gnome 3. On the setup menu under "sound" one has the option of selecting "more than 100 percent volume". This is very important to those, like me, who are legally deaf. It makes all the difference in the world. Because of this feature I can enjoy online sites like You Tube.

I want to know where that came from. On no other Gnome settings menu in any other distro that I have seen, and I's seen them all, is this option available. Is it there because of a newer Gnome change? Or.... did the folks at Cannonical just decide one day to include it? It is so very seldom that we deaf people are remembered by manufactures at all.

I prefer Fedora because it caters to those who don't necessarily care about entertainment. I am in that group generally. Fedora uses Gnome too but on the settings menu there is no option for "above 100 percent" volume. Why?

Does anyone know what the source of the above 100 percent volume option is? Did Ubuntu think of it or is it a part of a newest Gnome feature?

Any clarification greatly appreciated. It's tough being not able to hear.

Thanks...

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by trailertrash View Post
    selecting "more than 100 percent volume".
    pulseaudio.
    also achievable with jackaudio, and definitely not limited to one distro.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    pulseaudio.
    also achievable with jackaudio, and definitely not limited to one distro.

Thanks I'll give them a try.