Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am a very new user of Red Hat Fedora Linux Core 2. Will anybody read my this FLUXBOX story? I have a problem and many many stupid questions? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fluxbox - Problem

Hi,

I am a very new user of Red Hat Fedora Linux Core 2. Will anybody read my this FLUXBOX story? I have a problem and many many stupid questions? PLEASE reply .............

Firstly I installed the Fluxbox (fluxbox-0.9.10-0.fdr.1.2.i386.rpm) by using "# rpm -ivh fluxbox-0.9.10-0.fdr.1.2.i386.rpm" command. It was installed successfully but I don't know how to work with FLUXBOX and it's menu. Is it totally command based or can I open any application like XMMS through it's menu and what is "Withdrawn"? Is it necessory to be installed in Fluxbox environment? Well, I went to Fluxbox's site and I read the documantation. I again downloaded the "fluxbox-0.9.12.tar.tar" version and decided to uninstalled previous version. I tried this way "#rpm -e fluxbox-0.9.10-0.fdr.1.2.i386.rpm" But I could not uninstall Fluxbox (error: package fluxbox-0.9.10-0.fdr.1.2.i386.rpm is not installed). So I deceided to install new version without uninstalling previous one. I followed the instructions as they are in documantation page on Fluxbox's official site. Why is it written "fluxbox-0.1.12.tar.gz" in docs instead of "fluxbox-0.9.12.tar.tar" which I downloaded? Are they different packages or same? I reached at this step succssesfully :-

"The next step is to find the executable for Fluxbox. For most people, this is /usr/local/bin/fluxbox. Now you need to edit (or create) the file I just mentioned. Just put the following line at the bottom of the file:

exec /usr/local/bin/fluxbox"

But I was unable to open and edit "/usr/local/bin/fluxbox" file so I created another text file fluxbox and replaced it in /home/avi. I also renamed the folder ".fluxbox" (/home/avi) which was created while installing previous version of Fluxbox to ".fluxbox01" & I took the init, menu, and titlebar files from the /usr/local/share/fluxbox directory to newly created ".fluxbox" folder (as instructions).

Now the problem is when I login in Fluxbox and try to work with it's menu I could not find KDE menu which I was enabled while installing. One more important question, if I want to open my /home/avi directory or any other directory, so how can I open it? will I have to use commands for opening a folder? And there is no availablity of "fluxbox-generate_menu" page on FLUXBOX's site.

I like Fluxbox and I want to be familier with it but now I am thinking to uninstall the Fluxbox and start from scratch again. What should I do, please advice me. Please give me some guidance. Please.

Thanks in Advance.

Avi.

Linux Engineer
    there is actually a tutorial in the tutorials section that deals with configuring the fluxbox menu. basically just pico your .menu file and make changes, or additions based on the syntax you observe in the default. The tutorial will explain, in brief, the syntax in case you cannot figure it out

Just Joined!
    first use the whereis command to find the fluxbox executable:

Code:
    $ whereis fluxbox
    not sure, but you may have to be root.

it *should* be in /usr/local/bin/fluxbox. it doesnt really matter where it is. If you use the command
    Code:
     startx
    to start X, you then must create the file
    Code:
    /home/avi/.xinitrc
    (using any editor), and add the line
    Code:
     exec /usr/local/bin/fluxbox
    and save it. then as root,
    Code:
     chmod 700 /home/avi/.xinitrc
    Then create a folder called
    Code:
    .fluxbox
    by typing this as the user:
    Code:
    mkdir /home/avi/.fluxbox
    Thats it.

type
    Code:
     startx
    from the command prompt.

Fluxbox is very extensible, and very customizable...read the documentation, you will learn alot. To add things to the menu, as the user, edit the file
    Code:
     /home/avi/.fluxbox/menu
    Just look at the format of the entries that are there....they should be self explanitory.

-redmoth

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close