Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm planning to install Linux onto a laptop I have, mainly for remote control of my desktop Linux machine and other console related activities. As im sure that wouldn't require ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    li
    Just Joined!

How much processor power does X require?

I'm planning to install Linux onto a laptop I have, mainly for remote control of my desktop Linux machine and other console related activities.

As im sure that wouldn't require too much processing power (its a P133 with 48mb ram btw), I became curious as to how much power X-windows requires, and if I could easily operate it on my laptop.

Any ideas?

Also does anyone have any idea whats the best distro to run on such a laptop?

Actually the processor load isn't the issue (unless running graphic intensive apps) usually but rather the ram used.
    Me & Myself just ganged up on I....... Now We all have problems..and none of Us are speaking!
    bash-3.00$ uname -a
    SunOS sparky 5.11 OpenSolaris-swa sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise

either way, you can run X on those specs, but I woulnd NOT recommend KDE or Gnome, should you want to, try something like icewm or at the largest xfce. while they may not be as pretty or integrated, they still let you runx based app without worry.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    You could try enlightenment DR17 as well. I've heard it will run even on PDAs, so...
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

How much ram and cpu would be the minimum for comfortably running KDE? I run KDE on my computer (it's the default and I have really gotten used to some of the apps), but I might be getting an older laptop and I was just thinking about what desktop environment I should try. Same goes for another computer that's currently running MS windows 98 (that one is a pentium 2 300mhz with 128 RAM). Is this good enough for KDE?
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Newbie
    from personal and others experiance it may be quite possible to run KDE on that processor and that ram, but testing is a thing that i try first, but thats personal preferance
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

Linux Engineer
    That's way not enough for kde to be usable, but it will run. I reccomend Oroborus, which on my system uses up a whopping 2-3 mb of ram, compared to the 30-40 that kwin uses (plus all the other kde apps which tend to use much more memory then you would think they need).

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll try some of the other desktop environments/window managers...
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

You *can* use KDE on that small amount of RAM, but you'd have to slim it down to be useable (which is possible ).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    You *can* use KDE on that small amount of RAM, but you'd have to slim it down to be useable (which is possible ).
    Sure, but why start with something so bloated when you can start with something so slim and about 60x faster anyway?