Find the answer to your Linux question:
I running kde 3.2 and the kmail packaged with kde is not configured properly. I set the SMTP with the host name, login and password. But cant send mail with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

KDE Kmail config. problem

I running kde 3.2 and the kmail packaged with kde is not configured properly. I set the SMTP with the host name, login and password. But cant send mail with it. Messages stay queued in the outbox. Does anyone use this small mail utility? I also want to import my Mozilla mail from the win98 partition I use on my dual boot computer.

any help would be appreciated

Do you have it down as: smtp.mymail.net under sending/host? Also, make sure port is listed as 25.

As for importing your old mail from Windows 98/ Mozilla, if you are able to mount your Windows partition, run, tools - import messages, and find your mozilla mail directory for importing.

EDIT: Also, make sure you haven't somehow blocked your SMTP port in your firewall.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Linux Newbie
    Dapper Dan,

I checked the shorewall config and enabled the IMAP/POP service which had no effect. But specifically for port 25 SMTP I donīt know the syntax: is it tcp or udp?

I'm not sure, I use guarddog. If you know how to, try both and see if one or the other has an effect.

Is there any way that port 25 (SMTP) could have gotten blocked on your machine? I think it more than likely is a misconfiguration in kmail somewhere. Have you tried one of the other mail clients to see? You could try evolution, (which I personally like better anyway), and there's also Balsa and Sylpheed. All should be easily installable using urpmi.

As root:

urpmi balsa

etc.

Check first, though, they may already be installed. You can also try mozilla mail and netscape mail.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here