Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just installed Mandrake 10.1 on a friend's laptop. I've managed to sort a few minor problems like the floppy drive not being recognised, but I can't get Konqueror ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Konqueror won't run

I have just installed Mandrake 10.1 on a friend's laptop. I've managed to sort a few minor problems like the floppy drive not being recognised, but I can't get Konqueror to run. When I double click the icon the wee egg timer comes up in the taskbar, but then disappears again. I'd be grateful for your help...

Linux Engineer
    can you run the command from Terminal and post the error message you have please

Thanks
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Hi Ugo
    When I open a terminal and type in "konqueror" the cursor just moves to the next line and then nothing happens - no error messages of any kind...

Hope I'm not missing something obvious!

Just Joined!
    I guess from the lack of response that maybe I was doing something newbie and basic??!

Linux Engineer
    Nothing can be considered noobish (IMO)
    I have this problem sometimes too... The fix I have for it, is to CTRL-ALT-BCKSP, restart X server... it always works after that
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Hi Ugo

Well, I tried that, but it still didn't work, so I did the whole upgrade to Mandrake 10.1 official again (from a DVD free with Linux magazine), but that didn't help (I used the same DVD to upgrade my own machine and it works fine). I also tried doing an interactive startup and the only thing that failed was:

Probing CPUFreq modules FAILED
    FAILED

Could this have anything to do with it?

Thanks for the help.

Just Joined!
    I am having the exact same problem. also a Linux newbie. I installed Mandrake 10.1 and when I try to open Konqueror it says starting Konqueror and then does nothing. therefore I can't browse in folders. Something else that is interesting, I started Konqueror from another gui. don't remeber what it was but it worked.

Just Joined!
    In the end I did a complete re-install of Mandrake 10.1 and now Konqueror works fine. Must have been a glitch in the install process I guess?