Find the answer to your Linux question:
how do i get widowmaker GUI and then get rid of KDE once i get it? links are appreciated....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Get WidowMaker And Get Rid Of KDE?

how do i get widowmaker GUI and then get rid of KDE once i get it? links are appreciated.

Linux Engineer
    What distro are you running?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux User
    Mandrake 9.1

Linux Engineer
    I suppose Mandrake utilized RPMs to install KDE. I'd suggest installing windowmaker and see how it feels before you delete KDE. Anyhow, if you wanted to get rid of KDE and if my theory is correct about KDE being installed via RPM, then you can run 'rpm -qa | grep kde > kderpms.txt' Then you should manually delete the packages. Of course that command might give you some other packages that has the string KDE so becareful when you delete such packages. I'm not sure how the dependency will check out when uninstalling the RPMs but you can always force something to be uninstalled. I'd recommend uninstalling from bottom to top regarding the package dependency.

Linux User
    Yes mandrake used Rpms to install it... and i dont really like mandrake but its all i can get to work with my Mobo and drive controller. but where will i be able to DL WidowMaker?

Linux Engineer
    I suppose the RPM for window maker would do it. Since I don't use RPMs at all (Debian user), I'd suggest you going into google and type RPM. I used to use this RPM database http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/ but it looks like the RPMs aren't up to date as they can be. Perhaps I'm not using it right but that's how I would try to get the RPM.

Linux Guru
    Go to just http://rpmfind.net/ instead and search for the RPM you want.

Linux Engineer
    I suppose he'll need the Mandrake version. Just out of curiosity, why is that certain RPMs are in certain architecture i586? What would happen if I installed that when I'm running i686?

Linux Guru
    i686 is backwards compatible with i586, so an i586 RPM will definitely work on an i686 archictecture. It's worse if you try to install it an an i386.

Linux User
    Use the Mandrake Control Center; just go to software management and Rpm Drake. There's also a couple other Window Managers such as blackbox and enlightenment I believe...