Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Well, as my nick suggests I am a total newbie. Kindly help. I have Mandrake 9.1 installed. Unlike Red Hat there is no tool to switch between desktop managers. Upon ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to switch between KDE and Gnome?

Well, as my nick suggests I am a total newbie. Kindly help. I have Mandrake 9.1 installed. Unlike Red Hat there is no tool to switch between desktop managers. Upon startx KDE starts automatically. I want to use Gnome because I am very much used to it. Graphical login allows me to select between the managers but I want to use text based login. Please help.

Linux Enthusiast
    can you use 'kdm' or 'gdm' instead and get a login manager and from there change the session?
    you will need to be root to run those commands likely

I am not sure if mdk has that or not, but worth a shot

Linux Guru
    I don't deal much with this, but this should work: Create a file in your home directory called .xinitrc (note the preceding dot) that contains the following.
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec gnome-session

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I am running KDE. If I also install gnome would this automatically give me the option to switch between kde and gnome?

Although I am only running KDE right now I noticed a few applications installed who seemed to be just for gnome. Is the login screen just for Gnome. I cannot get it to go under KDE
    I am on a journey to mastering Linux and I got a bloody long way to go!!!

Linux User
    well from what i know and experianced. the programs that run in Gnome also run in KDE could be wrong but all the Gnome Apps i use run fine in KDE and if you say they arnt installed. you should be able to install them with the package installer thing. well at leased for mandrake 9.1 thats what i use

Linux User
    Allblack: If you want to start KDE instead of Gnome, put "startkde" where "gnome-session" is in your .xinitrc

Good Luck

I ran redhat 7.3 for a little while and it gave me the option to select gnome or kde. I don't seem to have this option with RH9

Linux User
    when you installed do you remember there being a selection for Gnome under the graphical desktops you wanted to install? if so was it checked to install? if you didnt install it then you are going to need to. is there a install packages section on Redhat?

I did not install it yet. That's why I asked if a selection menu would appear if I did so. If I can't have the option to select, I will stick with KDE

Linux Guru
    There is indeed that option. I haven't tried using any X under RH9, but gdm always provides a "Session" menu that you can bring forth by clicking Session at the bottom of the screen. If you installed KDE properly, you should be able to select KDE from it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast