Find the answer to your Linux question:
I had LILO setup to boot to the GUI and now it boots to a shell. Lilo come up, I shoose "Linux" as I always do, then I get a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I lost my windows!!

I had LILO setup to boot to the GUI and now it boots to a shell. Lilo come up, I shoose "Linux" as I always do, then I get a shell login and then a shell. 2 Questions:

How do I tell Linux to boot to the GUI?

How do I also start the GUI myself from the shell?

I'm using Mandrake and Debian

Just Joined!
    you can get into the gui by typing startx in the console

How do I tell Linux to boot to the GUI?
    You don't boot into the GUI. You can start it though, issuing the command "startx" at the terminal prompt.

You can also change the default bootlevel in the file /etc/inittab, from looking like this: "id:3:initdefault" to say "id:4:initdefault" that starts a session manager at bootup.

How do I also start the GUI myself from the shell?
    "startx"

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by kriss
    You can also change the default bootlevel in the file /etc/inittab, from looking like this: "id:3:initdefault" to say "id:4:initdefault" that starts a session manager at bootup.
    Actually you should use runlevel 5 instead of 4 in most cases. 5 is the gui mode, 4 is supposed to be unused or user defined, though often distros will set up 4 to act like 5.

Just Joined!

Nothing worked, now I think I lost my files...

I tried all the suggestions and nothing worked. I editied that file and choose all the options you guys suggested but it just kept logging into a shell and I could not start the gui from the prompt using the command you suggested. Just in case I'll let you know how this happened to begin with. I was running a loop for several days and it hung my pc. I had to push the off button to reboot, then I could never get back to GUI to that.

I decided to do a repair, using "rescue" option from boot disk. I re-installed boot loader...this did nothing. So I booted to the install disks and tried to reinstall LILO. When it asked about partitions that it found I choose use existing..instead of format new...I thought this was my safe bet. Anyway..now I buit to a new GUI with none of my previous settings, and my "home/dev" directory is missing now and that has all my scripts!! AAhhhhh!!! Sorry!

Do you think my files are gone? How do I undelete?