Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello: If I bring my internet access down, e.g. by 1. $ifconfig eth0 down 2. unplugging my cable modem X kinda freezes. It becomes impossible to open any new windows. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Spooky X behavior

Hello:
    If I bring my internet access down, e.g. by
    1. $ifconfig eth0 down
    2. unplugging my cable modem
    X kinda freezes. It becomes impossible to open any new windows. If you close a window it then becomes impossible to bring it back.

This probably has something to do with the x-server, which I guess is designed to allow people to access your display remotely. But it's very annoying... and weird that I should have to access my own display through the internet. I'm also concerned about the security of this arrangement.

Relatedly, I find that port 6000 (which is what the x-server runs out of) is always open, no matter how I tinker with my firewall or my x configuration.

The question: how do you make X run locally without going through some network device? How do you keep X from freezing if the network comes down?

Linux User
    Which distribution are you using, which version of X, and which desktop environment? Please post your xorg.conf or XF86Config.

So you're saying you can't launch any applications, but you can use them as long as you don't close them? Can you ctrl-alt-backspace out of X and then restart it? What if you bring down eth0 while in the console, without X running, can you then start ncurses applications? How about launching X and other applications within it after bringing down eth0 in the console?
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Just Joined!
    I'm presently using Yoper 2.1 with KDE, though I had the same problem (I guess you could call it a problem) when I used Redhat 9.0 and Gnome.

To clarify: The only thing that gets interrupted when you bring down the network is the ability to open windowed applications. And actually, the windowed applications do start (I think), but it takes them about 5 minutes to appear on screen; sometimes less, sometimes they seem to never start; it seems random. I can run whatever I want in the terminal. And the windowed applications that are already open continue to work. ctl-alt backspace doesnt really work as it should. If I bring down the network and do ctl-alt backspace, I get the login screen okay. I login, but kde takes app. 5 minutes to start, mostly hung up on the 'initializing system services' stage. Then I can start windowed applications, but it takes close to 5 min. for them to appear. And if I restart the network then everything pops up really fast, so it's definitely waiting for the network.

Note that it doesnt matter how i bring down the network. Same results if i use ifconfig as if I press the power button on my cable modem.

If I reboot the computer without the cable-modem, everything works fine.

I'm really just trying to figure out how I can make my display independant of a network device; I'm also paranoid about having my display available to anyone who can log into it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    After scouring the internet I see it is possible to stop xdm from listening to port 6000 by modifying /usr/X11R6/startx to contain the lines
    defaultclientargs="-nolisten tcp"
    defaultserverargs="-nolisten tcp"

I have done this, but it hasn't helped; port 6000 is still open.

Thoughts?