Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got RedHat 8.0 I got to packages and check of the kde box and it shows 54/58 packages. I click continue and it says "Installing 1 package" and installs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

KDE won't work...

I've got RedHat 8.0

I got to packages and check of the kde box and it shows 54/58 packages. I click continue and it says "Installing 1 package" and installs kdebase. When I got back to packages it says nothing of kde is installed. If I log out and go to session it lists all the usual but now there's an option of "kde-rpmnew" and if I pick it or KDE it shows the KDE loading screen it goes through all the icons and even says "KDE is up and running" then the splash screen goes away and it just sits at a blue screen. Why doesn't it work?

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Since I was forced due to my own dumb mistake I installed RH 8 twice today on the same machine. It kde came up fine as well as gnome.

Have you tried gnome instead just as a test?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

I've been using gnome for awhile now, and I wanted to try KDE and that's what this is about. Maybe I'll reinstall, I've messed someother stuff up too...

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Try reinstalling the rpm for it is one option. Also what is the cpu/RAM on you machine? kde is a resource pig and need lots of power to run normally. Gnome does not.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

heh, no problem there

P4 2.8ghz w/HT
    512MB DDR400

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Unless someone else has another idea, I'd uninstall it. Reboot then install it again. You may wish to download the latest rpm incase you have file corruption issue as well.
    Dan

the problem is it doesn't recognize that it's installed so I can't even uninstall it.

I think I'm just gonig to reinstall

**EDIT**

heh, I tried installing Mandrake 9.1 and using KDE. It all worked perfectly and such, but now I like RedHat and Gnome much more. KDE felt too much like it was trying to imitate Xp. I also got to try Blackbox, and that's actually pretty cool. I like the extreme simplicity and how fast it loads...

Linux Newbie
    if you planon reinstalling RH8, just install KDE straight from the cds during the installation process. just go into the package selection area when it asks, and click on the KDE box under the X desktop Area. You SHOULD be able to install both KDE and Gnome at the same time, I've always been able to. and i have installed RH8 on a number of friends computers for them. I just wish that Enlightenment came with it too.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.