Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed Debian 3 on my PC, and i can't get X to start, i have run xf86config and set everything as i have set it for numerous distros ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No Screens Found

I have installed Debian 3 on my PC, and i can't get X to start, i have run xf86config and set everything as i have set it for numerous distros in the past, and had no problems. I get the error 'no screens found', i notice that the server output lists the NVidia cards that the driver supports, mine is not one of them, i have a geforce 4 mx440, how would i go about setting it up so it works?

Thanks
    Chris Harkness

Linux Engineer
    Did you install the nvidia driver?
    can you post the XF86Config file (under code bracket)
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    I have started to download the nvidia drivers now, i just assumed x would manage it, as in suse, redhat and mandrake which i have used previously it has worked. Will it be as simple as installing the file and then reconfiguring X, or will i have to go through a long process? I cannot post the file unfortunately, as i'm on a different computer and the other has no floppy disc drive.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    The steps are easy to follow. 3 Steps if I remember Make sure you read the How-to carefully
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Do i need to have the kernel source code installed in order to install the nvidia driver? And will the source rpm from suse work, they are for the same kernel.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisUK
    Do i need to have the kernel source code installed in order to install the nvidia driver? And will the source rpm from suse work, they are for the same kernel.
    Im pretty sure it requires it, I havent installed the driver in the last 2 months... And i have memory leakage

Just Joined!
    OK, cheers, i'll go give it all a go now, and i'll let you know how it goes. Thanks
    Chris

Just Joined!
    I have downloaded all the files i thought i needed, but now i can't install the kernel source i found on my debian cd, it is a .deb file and i have no idea how to install them, i looked on the internet and found i needed 'wajig'. This is how i am told it is to be installed:

"Wajig is available in the Debian distribution. As root:

# apt-get update
    # apt-get install wajig "

the package lists and dependancies are then checked, but i get told it can't find the package, i have searched and have been unable to find a file named wajig on the cd, any ideas?

Chris

Just Joined!
    I've managed to get everything installed, except for the driver itself, which insists i don't have the kernel source installed, but gives me the option to use the command --kernel-source-path, but i have no idea what that means in terms of what i actually need to do. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Chris