Find the answer to your Linux question:
I use RedHat Linux 8.0 as my OS. I have a really simple question to ask. I have downloaded some themes from freshmeat. It's in the form of tar files. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing new themes

I use RedHat Linux 8.0 as my OS. I have a really simple question to ask. I have downloaded some themes from freshmeat. It's in the form of tar files. I don't know how to install these themes.

Linux Guru
    Are these themes for GNOME or KDE?

Just Joined!
    Some are for Gnome and some for KDE

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    In GNOME, you can choose Install New Theme from the Theme preferences window. I haven't tried installing a new theme, but I guess you just point it to the tarball. I don't know how to do it in KDE, though.

Just Joined!
    I tried that but the theme doesn't seem to appear in the theme windows. Is there any file which can be edited manually to get so

Linux Enthusiast
    there are instructions on my guide on the helpful tips / customization page to install themes and other things in kde.

I have heard from numerous people that themes are a real pain to install in the new gnome, you used to be able to just drag the theme over, and now it can be done but I don't recall off hand because I never use it.