Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to beable to log into my linux box remotely and be able to use my gnome desktop from another computer. Right now I'm using cygwin to log into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Remote Desktop

I want to beable to log into my linux box remotely and be able to use my gnome desktop from another computer.

Right now I'm using cygwin to log into my dwsktop remotely and forwarding X through the secure shell and enabeling xhost to except my stuff.

Is their an easier way to do this. I want to log into my system and have complete access to my desktop. here are the commands that i use.
    Code:
    xhost + somehost
    export OS=""  //for some reason cygwin has to have this i dont know why
    ssh -X -l username host
    export DISPLAY="remote-computer-ip:0"
    then I can launch any X display on my remote computer.

Is there a better way to do this.
    The computer made me do it!! Slackware and SUSE too Gig\'em WHOOOOP!!
    \"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of tasks, At the rate I\'m going I will never die.\" (I don\'t know)

Linux Guru
    Cygwin? In that case, I take it that you're set on using a WIndows client, right? If that is the case, check out http://www.realvnc.org/. VNC provides a remote framebuffer, that is completely system independent. It even provides a Java applet client, so that you don't have to install any client software. Just surf to your computer's VNC HTTP server, enter your password and you'll have your desktop.

However, if the client is a Linux/UNIX computer, native X is really preferable, at least IMO. You got it all wrong how to set it up, though. The way you've done it, the X connections aren't forwarded through ssh. I don't know about cygwin, but on Linux, just "ssh -X username@host" and you'll have full X11 capability from the start, the connections will be encrypted and compressed, and you won't have to open up your X server with xhost. If that didn't work for you, the probably cause is that the system you're connecting to has X11 forwarding disabled for its sshd. Talk to the system administrator about it if the system isn't yours, and if it is yours, then check your /etc/ssh/sshd_config and check so that there is a line that reads "X11Forwarding yes".

Linux User
    Thanx for the info.

Yes where i work my boss only has windows so I have to use it at work. And at home my family uses only windows except for the server that i set up which uses Linux.

Thanx a bunch
    The computer made me do it!! Slackware and SUSE too Gig\'em WHOOOOP!!
    \"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of tasks, At the rate I\'m going I will never die.\" (I don\'t know)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    This is going to be a really dumb newbie question but I am going to ask it away. Followed your post on how to set this up and I have configured my sshd_config file the way you suggested. I am using realvnc from a windows box, I know, I am learning, to my linux server. I have the service running on the server, but, I still only get a command line when I connect.

What did I do wrong? Or am I just missing the obvious.

sign,
    windows guy, dying to learn linux.

Linux Engineer
    If you are attempting to use ssh to get X access, you need to pass the '-X' option on the client side.

According to Dolda2000, it looks like you can setup a VNC HTTP server and just type a password to get desktop access.

Please note that there is a difference between the two mentioned above. While you can gain GUI interface using ssh, I don't think you can gain desktop access unless you use VNC.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    If you haven't configured your VNC server explicitly, it's likely that you get a command line, yes. That's what the VNC server gives by default. I haven't dealt with VNC for quite some time, so I don't really remember if this is correct, but to get your ordinary desktop, you have to configure the file ~/.vnc/xstartup. If you're using GNOME, put this in it:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec gnome-session