Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, my PC was running Mandrake 10.1 Community and was working ok. Then at booting, the Gnome Display Manager (GDM) began complaining: 'The system appears to be crashing, I will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot start X server in Mandrake 10.1 Community

Hi, my PC was running Mandrake 10.1 Community and was working ok. Then at booting, the Gnome Display Manager (GDM) began complaining:

'The system appears to be crashing, I will use another instead' . Then an alternative GUI screen allowed me to login (graphically) in KDE. This happened every time I started my computer.

But one morning, however, It could not get that GDM anymore:" I cannot start the X server. It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?"

While browsing the error message I noticed the most significant: '

"Fatal server error:
    Could not open default font 'fixed' "

---Does anyone know what does that mean? Which font and how I can fix that? ----

and also these warnings (ww):

(ww) option XkbOptions requires a string value
    (ww) LoadModule: given non-canonical module name "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules

I had the option to run the X configuration program: So I say yes and XFdrake menu appears:

I see that all is correctly identified: My graphics card (RIVA TNT2), my monitor (Optiquest Q71) and the resolution (1152X768 24 bpp). So push OK.

Then Nvidia splash screen appears, goes black, flickers several times, and this sequence is repeated three times, then we go back to the error" I cannot start the X server..etc."

Any help is appreciated

Maxei

Just Joined!

Now the X server is fixed and running smoothly!!

Thank you all for reading. It makes me feel usefull

Well. it is really embarrassing.

The huge problem that the system could not start X server in my case (and giving that freaking message: Fatal server error: Could not open default font 'fixed',) was caused by......the lack of disk space in the partition /tmp !!!!

Can you hear, you guys in charge of X development?

It is hard to believe that such a small detail can render the X server totally useless. Is this another Achilles point?

The night before the problem started, I recorded a small (I thought is was small!) piece of TV on /tmp. I didnt realize it took about 10 G (virtually the size of this partition).

So, during booting, I noticed a warning line saying no space in /tmp. When I logged in (of course in console mode; the x server being useless), I deleted that huge .mpg file, then rebooted, yeah, rebooted the whole thing. Then once logged in, fired startx and voila!!!: X is now happily displaying all wonderfull colors and nice graphical windows as it was before.

For all you guys with a similar problem, before looking for fancy commands, misterious setups and chekings, or deep reconfigurations or re-installings: Linuxians of the world, Beware!

(of course, your case may be different;
    I have a question: if you dont have /tmp partition, where the X server system will look for the disk space it needs so desperately?

Maxei DeVraie