Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i did a reinstall just to get the bootloader back, because the rescue gui didn't seem to work. and now x constantly uses more than 20 percent of the cpu. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

x taking >20 % cpu (1.5 ghz)

i did a reinstall just to get the bootloader back, because the rescue gui didn't seem to work. and now x constantly uses more than 20 percent of the cpu. i have a pentium 4 1.5 ghz with 384 mb ram.

okay...what do you want us to do about it? Is X the only process running?

Just Joined!
    well its all the normal processes, like a normal kde session. before i did that x only took up around 1% of the cpu. i need some idea of how to fix this. i can't really do anything without it taking forever.

which distribution are you using?

Just Joined!
    mandrake 10.1.

So you did a full reinstall of Mandrake?

Just Joined!
    no i just did the install without formatting or anything. just did the bootloader installation part.

Just Joined!
    the reason i didn't do a full reinstall is because i dont want to lose all of my settings and programs that took me hours to get right

is there any way i can preserve them and reinstall? like maybe backing up some directories and reinstall, and then move the directories back? would that work?

can you detail your "reinstall" step-by-step for me, as i'm a tad bit confused as to what you did.

Just Joined!
    ok. first it asked to partition and format. and i just selected none for format. then it did the packages selection. i didn't select anything because i didn't need anything. but then it said are you sure you want to install without blah blah blah(can't remember) but the options were install x, documentation, and minimal install. i selected none. then it got to the users part, and just accepted the users. got to the bootloader part and reinstalled the bootloader. everything still works, but yeah... x taking the cpu.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast