Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was having an issue with my router and restarted my computer, which is running Red Hat 9.0. It hung up during the restarting and I had to shut it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GNOME issue!!!

I was having an issue with my router and restarted my computer, which is running Red Hat 9.0. It hung up during the restarting and I had to shut it off and then on again. When it restarted I noticed that the usual login before the GUI start up was a long string of letters and numbers. After GNOME started up I recieved the error message

"Could not look up address for x1-6-00-.... This will prevent GNOME from operating correctly. It may be possible to correct the problem by adding x1-6-00-04-5a-51-89-5e to the file /etc/hosts."

If I open a terminal I am now listed as [tom@x1-6-00... tom]$

What happened and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.
    Tom

Seems like route has still some issue. Try remove any new line from /etc/hosts. just keep there localhost.localdomain. Also try switching of DHCP in network configuration and set everything manualy.

this is a DNS resolution issue/ dhcp issue, su into root and add the recommended address to your /etc/host. You can modify the DHCP timeout settings should you want to, but this is a nice perminent solution. My question, do you know that you are on an ipv6 network? and is the entire network enabled as such? if not, you will probably want to switch your linux box back to ipv4 to avoid major network slowdowns.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333