Find the answer to your Linux question:
Before switching over, my desktop's resolution was 1920x1200. KDE seems to have problems recognizing that my laptop has a widescreen. Is there any way to correct this? I don't care ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KDE In Widescreen?

Before switching over, my desktop's resolution was 1920x1200. KDE seems to have problems recognizing that my laptop has a widescreen. Is there any way to correct this? I don't care if it's not AS large, but anything larger than 800x600 loops onto itself (ex. two desktops on one screen). Any help would be appreciated.

Just Joined!
    I have a widescreen notebook and I had to edit the XF86Config file to get the correct resolution.

Try that??

naburleson, could you explain what you edited and how? also, what graphic driver do you use? One of my friends has this problem, we tried editing the XF86Config flle but to no avail.

Thanks.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    I have a nvidia card and driver, you have to make sure you have the right or an updated driver installed, then you can go into your XF86Config and edit it, what card or vendor do you have?

sorry for the late reply, I'm not sure what card he has, I'll tell him to surf around for the correct driver. I tried modifiying the Xf86Config-4 file, but I think the problem was with the driver.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    yeah, make sure you have thr right driver, it took me a while to figure out that I didn't have the right driver. Once you get the driver if things still aren't working then we will work with editing the XF86config file, good luck

Just Joined!

Widescreen

I don't know if i will be able to really contribute to this, but here goes. I am using an Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX400 and was having the same problem with my resolution set to 1280x1024, where i would end up panning to see my whole desktop. I am using LinuxMandrake 10.1.
    I found this by accident.
    Linux Mandrake Control Cener, Videocard, and select video card. In the right pane there is a Run Config Tool, run it. With that you will be able to select your monitor. By Default mine was no correct, i set it to the correct monitor and ran the test and everything was then and still is on the screen with no panning around.
    I noticed the window for this configuration of videocard\monitor is XFDrake. I guess you can type that in an terminal session.
    Like i said, maybe this helps

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by eklhmn
    I don't know if i will be able to really contribute to this, but here goes. I am using an Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX400 and was having the same problem with my resolution set to 1280x1024, where i would end up panning to see my whole desktop. I am using LinuxMandrake 10.1.
    I found this by accident.
    Linux Mandrake Control Cener, Videocard, and select video card. In the right pane there is a Run Config Tool, run it. With that you will be able to select your monitor. By Default mine was no correct, i set it to the correct monitor and ran the test and everything was then and still is on the screen with no panning around.
    I noticed the window for this configuration of videocard\monitor is XFDrake. I guess you can type that in an terminal session.
    Like i said, maybe this helps
    I also have the Geforce2 MX/MX 400 but i cant get to KDE. When it tries i get a 2 small identical distorted screens at the bottom of my monitor and I am sure that the card is good. can you please post the settings you used to get it running of course i wil be running in either 800 x600 or 1024 x768. thanks