Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I deleted the Home, 2 cd drive and the floppy drive launchers off my Desktop and saved settings before logging out and I just noticed now after logging back in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Making default Gnome desktop launchers going away

I deleted the Home, 2 cd drive and the floppy drive launchers off my Desktop and saved settings before logging out and I just noticed now after logging back in that their back. What do I have to edit to make these things perminately go away?

Linux Enthusiast
    I'd like to know also, I got rid of everything in dropline on College Linux but can't seem to get rid of home and trash.

Linux Guru
    SiezedPropaganda, you're using KDE, right? I think that Konqueror automatically updates your desktop with mountable drives every time you log in. I don't use KDE though, so I don't know what to do about it.

yowwww, have you checked so that home and trash isn't just part of the system desktop?

Linux User
    No, I use Gnome. I put it in the title but I should have put it in the question as well. I dislike KDE very much now, I don't have it installed...

Linux Guru
    Heh, I never look at the subject except when absolutely necessary... =)
    However, I don't have any launchers for the CD-ROMs or floppies in GNOME, except when they're mounted. What GNOME version are you using?

Linux User
    2.2. My drives mount at startup. Do the drives need to be mounted in order for them to function? Kind of a dumb question but I've never questioned it up till now...

Linux Guru
    Do you mount the CD drives at startup? What if you don't have a CD in them then? And the floppy drive?!
    Mounting is the process of making the filesystem on a device accessible in the VFS (virtual file system).

Linux User
    Wait what am I talking about, they don't mount at start up. Theres just 3 folders in my /mnt drive called cdrom1 cdrom2 and floppy.

Linux Guru
    That doesn't mean that they're mounted. Those directories are just the mount points. When you mount something on them, the kernel makes them refer to the root directory of the filesystem you have mounted on them.

Linux User
    I get it now. So is there anyway to keep these pesky icons away?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast