Find the answer to your Linux question:
My question is this: If I want to switch from Gnome to something like Fluxbox or enlightenment in Gentoo what should I do. Do I have to unmerge the gnome ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Switching from Gnome to Fluxbox or Enlightenment in Gentoo

My question is this: If I want to switch from Gnome to something like Fluxbox or enlightenment in Gentoo what should I do. Do I have to unmerge the gnome environment. Change use flags (to what yet I don't exactly know) then emerge fluxbox. Then do the emerge update ( i forgot what the exact command is but something like deep clean, update ....etc...) If this sounds basically right let me know or completely wrong or anyother advice.

I really want a lighter desktop environment for my laptop especially and higher configurability for my desktop.

Thanks in advance!
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Engineer
    i recently did that with enlightenment and am very much pleased. just changed my use flags to refer to -gnome -gtk -kde -qt among others, and rest went very smooth.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Ok. Thanks for the reply.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    You can have gnome and enlightenment installed at the same time, just type this in a terminal as a normal user after emerging enlightenment:
    Code:
    echo exec enlightenment > ~/.xinitrc
    Or replace "enlightenment" with "enlightenment17" if you use enligtehment dr17.