Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello! Here's my little problem. I've been happily running FC3 on my PC and I've had little trouble with it until recently. But a few days ago I started having ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Blinking screen

Hello!
    Here's my little problem. I've been happily running FC3 on my PC and I've had little trouble with it until recently. But a few days ago I started having problem with the Gnome terminal: if the line I'm typing is empty and I hit backspace or if I'm at the end of the history and I press down my entire screen blinks. I've tried installing the latest xorg-x11 patches and reinstalling my video drivers, but nothing solved the problem. Could anyone help me, please? Thanks!

what do you mean by blinking? does the screen flicker? or does it keep blinking indefinitely? elaborate...

Linux Newbie
    yep, the screen flickers...

It flickers once or how many times?

Linux Newbie
    I think I figured out it's pattern: it flickers once each time it has to refresh the terminal window without making any modifications (like in those cases specified above or when, for example, I'm at the end of a line in vim and I press the left arrow, when I'm at the end of a document and I press the down arrow and other such cases). If something within the window changes (like the position of the cursor, for example) then it works just fine. I tried to be as explicit as possible... I hope I made myself understood

What kind of Monitor and Video Card do you have?

Linux Newbie
    Video: GeForce2 MX 400
    Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 753 DFX

Are you using the latest drivers for your video card? And make sure you're using the correct Vertical and Horizontal sync for your monitor.

Did you do anything before this started happening that might explain the cause?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    Are you using the latest drivers for your video card? And make sure you're using the correct Vertical and Horizontal sync for your monitor.
    Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    Did you do anything before this started happening that might explain the cause?
    Nope... or, at least, I don't think so... the only significant thing I remember happening recently was a power failiure that turned off my computer while I was running FC. Could that be it?

have you rebooted the machine cold? try that

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast