Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there an X Server that doesn't need a loopback connection? If you close the loopback connection, the client exits immediately....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

X Server that doesn't need a loopback connection?

Is there an X Server that doesn't need a loopback connection? If you close the loopback connection, the client exits immediately.

Linux User
    Uhm, it does? What distribution and xserver are you using? On my Arch current install, with xorg 6.8.2-2, I can bring down my lo interface and all is fine. Are you sure it's not your desktop environment?
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethyriel
    Uhm, it does? What distribution and xserver are you using? On my Arch current install, with xorg 6.8.2-2, I can bring down my lo interface and all is fine. Are you sure it's not your desktop environment?
    Doesn't every X Client need an extra loopback connection, at least on Cygwin/X?

Linux User
    I'm sorry, I don't know a thing about Cygwin, but x.org doesn't require it in the generally vanilla Arch Linux, and so I'd think neither does xfree. Maybe some distros would add a requirement in for a remote desktop solution, or something. I'm not sure, but I think Gnome and KDE require a network interface.

But I imagine Cygwin X is quite the different beast.

I hope someone has a better answer for you.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Linux Newbie
    All of the X Clients do need a loopback connection.

see this:
    Code:
    [root@localhost root]# netstat -p
    Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State PID/Program name
    Active UNIX domain sockets (w/o servers)
    Proto RefCnt Flags       Type       State         I-Node PID/Program name    Path
    unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     14347  812/X               /tmp/.X11-unix/X0
    unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     14346  3736/metacity
    unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     14345  3736/metacity       /root/tmp/orbit-root/linc-e98-0-1b5a3f97ada3e
    unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     14344  3683/gconfd-2
    unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     14341  3683/gconfd-2       /root/tmp/orbit-root/linc-e63-0-4275f424b729a
    unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     14340  3736/metacity
    unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     14184  3688/gnome-pty-help
    unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     14183  3681/gnome-terminal
    unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     14182  3687/               /tmp/uimhelper-root
    unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     14174  3681/gnome-terminal
    unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     14152  3683/gconfd-2       /root/tmp/orbit-root/linc-e63-0-4275f424b729a
    unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     14135  3681/gnome-terminal
    unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     14109  812/X               /tmp/.X11-unix/X0
    unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     14108  3681/gnome-terminal
    unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     12123  743/xfs             /tmp/.font-unix/fs-1
    unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     12122  812/X
    unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     3774   762/login -- root
    [root@localhost root]#

Linux User
    Mine looks something like that as well, using Enlightenment. But I can still start X and run Enlightenment, Eterm, etc without lo or ppp0 up. Just because the interface is used when available doesn't mean it's required.
    Michael Salivar

--Goethe

Linux Newbie
    Mine looks something like that as well, using Enlightenment. But I can still start X and run Enlightenment, Eterm, etc without lo or ppp0 up. Just because the interface is used when available doesn't mean it's required.
    Aren't those active connections called "loopback connections"? If you close all the highlighted connections, the X Clients would exit immediately.

see image:

Linux User
    I would think so, but that doesn't change the fact that closing the loopback has no real effect on my system, besides disconnecting my MPD frontend from the daemon.

My suspicion is that Cygwin X requires a loopback for communication with the underlying OS to which it's not native. But like I said, I really have no clue about anything Cygwin.
    Michael Salivar

--Goethe

Linux Newbie
    I would think so, but that doesn't change the fact that closing the loopback has no real effect on my system, besides disconnecting my MPD frontend from the daemon.

My suspicion is that Cygwin X requires a loopback for communication with the underlying OS to which it's not native. But like I said, I really have no clue about anything Cygwin.
    The problem is that I haven't found anything that could close active connections on Linux yet. I'm just imagining that if I used it to close the active connections, the X Clients would exit. I should have said that earlier. And you're right, the Linux X Server doesn't use loopback connections, but it uses UNIX domain sockets instead. But if there's something that someone could use to close the UNIX domain sockets used by the X Server and the X Clients, than I think the X Clients would also exit.