Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi After a few hours uptime I get the system bell when I press any key, it beeps twice then inputs the character I pressed. For example: ctrl-alt-deleet would become: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

blackbox/windowmaker - keyboard beep problem

Hi

After a few hours uptime I get the system bell when I press any key, it beeps twice then inputs the character I pressed. For example: ctrl-alt-deleet would become:

ctrl-ctrl-ctrl-alt-alt-alt-deleet-deleet-deleet before it did anything.

So far this has only happend in windowmaker or blackbox and restarting the Xserver fixes it for a short time.

I am useing suse 8.1 with kernal 2.4.19 on a 1.4ghz athalon/gf4/512mb ram/microsoft kayboard (the one with all the annoying "media" buttons).

I clearly have little experience with linux so please be gentle.

Linux Guru
    Can you describe a little more precisely? Does this actually happen in X? If you don't have a window open that can receive text input, what happens then? If you press Ctrl+Alt+F1, do you get to a text terminal, and in that case, how does it behave?

Linux Engineer
    Im not sure what you mean: "does this actualy happen in x?" But.. it happens after maby 2 hours working with gimp, irc and maby konqueror browser open at the same time. Even after closeing all these windows so that there is only the desktop with no icons or anything running it still beeps twice as the key I pressd repeats twice! the third repeat is normal with no beep.
    In blackbox when i click reconfigure or restart from the menu the problem is still there, it only stops after logging out and back in again.

Yes it still happens after pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1, but other than the multiple keypresses needed its behavior is normal.

Also sometimes when I log in my mouse can behave strangely, by moveing fine in the up and right directions but flicking back to the bottom left of the screen and performing random clicks (this happens in all windowmanagers). Agan restarting the Xserver a few times generaly fixes this problem... could it be related to the keyboard error?

Hope you got all that:P

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    The mouse thing also happens at the grafical login prompt

Linux Guru
    It almost sounds like a hardware error. The mouse problem probably happens because the X server and the mouse become desynchorinzed, which could be because your hardware skips a byte or so.
    Do you have another keyboard and/or mouse that you can try with?

Linux Engineer
    yep, the mouse is hardware failure. i had somethign liek that happen to me a few months ago. the mous esuddenly jumped to the top right and jammed down the middle button. fixed it temporarily by clickign the jammed button and then it went fine for another 2 mins. Lucky its not windoze... when the mouse did the same thign in that it couldnt be recovered by pressing buttons and had to restart :o

keyboard also sounds like it could be that. When ur comp starts up go into the bios and set the keyboard refresh/repeat rate a bit slower. see if that makes a difference.

Linux Engineer
    Cool thanks!

Im useing my brothers optical mouse for now which seems fine and I changed the repeat rate of the keyboard in the bios, as you suggest, since doing that the problem has not happend again but I wont know for sure untill a few hours uptime. So far so good. :)

Thanks for the help!