Find the answer to your Linux question:
How big are KDE and gnome installed. If you know could i have the sizes for each one Thanks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

KDE / gnome size

How big are KDE and gnome installed. If you know could i have the sizes for each one

Thanks

Linux User
    I can't tell you how big they are on disk, but this is the size of the downloads from Arch

# Pacman -S gnome gnome-extra
    Total Package Size: 112.8MB

# Pacman -S kde
    Total Package Size: 230.4MB

But to be fair, I do have some gnome stuff installed already, like the gtk/2 libs, libglade, pango, gaim, etc etc. Plus some stuff like xscreensaver which both pull. I would estimate 130MB for Gnome, and maybe 235 for KDE total. Then these are just basic tar.gz compressed with very little metadata, so you could figure out a ratio from that.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Linux Enthusiast
    a lightweight gnome install might cost you about 30-40 megs, whereas a 'lightweight' kde installation will probably take up about 100 megs, I don't know how big prebuilt packages are going to be, that's as I said, a 'lightweight' installation

Linux User
    I should have mentioned, those are groups of packages, so they can be broken down much further. In fact, Gnome is broken into a gnome group, and a gnome-extra group. But, I think you'll generally see a full featured implementation in most distros, so I think it's a fair representation, though certainly not ideal.

If I had the bandwidth and hard drive space I'd install both and then post the size of /opt/gnome and /opt/kde. Unfortunately, I don't.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe