Find the answer to your Linux question:
After some research I here's what I did to 'try' and make the switch.. 1. Installed the entire GNOME section in YaST. It did give me an error in package ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cannot switch from KDE to Gnome

After some research I here's what I did to 'try' and make the switch..

1. Installed the entire GNOME section in YaST. It did give me an error in package 'control panel' or something but no more info. I tried reinstalling it again but the same error pops up. Ignored this and continued...

2. Set the DISPLAY MANAGER = gdm & DEFAULT_WM = gnome in YaST Editor for /etc/sysconfig Files.

3. Mucked around a little with the Login Manager..

4. Restarted.

I managed to get the GNOME Login Manager and chose Gnome as the environment. I logged in and I cant see any text and the GUI is all funny.
    Theres a error that pops up with no text and bad button sizes. The icons on the desktop all have _ (underscores) on them. Theres no bar at the bottom
    Did a ctrl+alt+bkspc and landed back at the Login Manager.

I can get into KDE fine.. but how do I set it up to switch to gnome?

Wow... How the simplest things turn into nightmares!! (..esp if you're groping in the dark and dont know what you're doin!)

Linux User
    in the bottom right hand corner of the login screen, look for a menu button, choose session type, then gnome

Re: Cannot switch from KDE to Gnome

hmm.. guess i wasn't clear..
    I did manage to get into Gnome.. Its loads the Gnome environment but its all garbled...
    Quote Originally Posted by wraith
    ...I cant see any text and the GUI is all funny.
    Theres a error that pops up with no text and bad button sizes. The icons on the desktop all have _ (underscores) on them. Theres no bar at the bottom
    There are 10+ icons of papers with '_' as names. The My Computer Icon has the Monitor with Tux but the text is a '_'.
    There's an error dialogue that pops up with a stop sign but no text.

Linux User
    whoops, sorry, i sort of missed the entire middle of your post

This is beyond anything I've ever had to fix, my guess is you're missing some files, check yast and maybe try "All of GNOME" ??

As far as the fonts and buttons, try to get into the GNOME control panel (Is that whats its called? i use KDE) and see if anything there might help

Re: Cannot switch from KDE to Gnome

Since this seems like this problem is a lost case.. So ill have to start again.

What is the right procedure to install Gnome. What settings do I have to change and where? Are there any steps missing from here...

1. Installed the entire GNOME section in YaST. It did give me an error in package 'control panel' or something but no more info. I tried reinstalling it again but the same error pops up. Ignored this and continued...

2. Set the DISPLAY MANAGER = gdm & DEFAULT_WM = gnome in YaST Editor for /etc/sysconfig Files.

3. Mucked around a little with the Login Manager..

4. Restarted.

Linux Engineer
    After what I heard, SuSE has very poor gnome-support, so if you want gnome I suggest you maybe trying some other distro...

Just Joined!

Xproblem answer

run the following program "xwmconfig"

Linux Engineer
    wraith, where did you get your package from? When I was toying with SuSE, I was able to switch it to Gnome without any issues popping up. It's possible you snagged a corrupt package.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

I dont know what went wrong. I had selected ALL gnome packages. The installation source is the 5 cds that I downloaded off the SUSE website.

On my laptop that has SUSE installed from the same cds, I picked only few necessary sounding packages and it switched fine.. Ive done so much of experimentation and installation on my desktop machine that I must've corrupted something somewhere.

Anyways the problem no longer exists coz while trying to upgrade to 9.2 I messed up.. and so I did a fresh install of 9.2..

Linux Engineer
    Ive done so much of experimentation and installation on my desktop machine that I must've corrupted something somewhere.
    I can understand that problem all too well. I think I ended up reloading SuSE at LEAST 6 or 7 times before trying a different distribution!
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7