Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok i am semi new to linux so i am still gettinng the hang of it...bear with me. questions 1. i am not getting any sound at all. how do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

rh7, don't have sound, why?

ok i am semi new to linux so i am still gettinng the hang of it...bear with me.
    questions
    1. i am not getting any sound at all. how do i go about configuring my sound card so that it will work?
    2. when i try to play a video it says "unable to open dir/file.mpg with the following command: xanim +f %f" what does this mean and how do i fix it?
    3. i have tried to install numerous programs (gaim, quake, doom, xine....) and none of them will work. they are *.tar.gz files...are those compatible with rh7? the only file i got to work was a .rpm and that AIM.

if you can help please post here or IM me on AIM at inversekinematic
    Thanks
    Andrew

Linux User
    I think redhat gives you "soundconfig" or "sndconfig" (not shure). Do a "lsmod" and see if any sound modules are loaded.

2. Are you shure you are typing the correct filename? try to let the TAB button autocomplete for you.-

yes, its source so it should work with any distro. unpack it this way: tar xvzf file.tar.gz or tar xvjf file.tar.bz2 and get into that dir, and type "./configure && make && su -c "make install""

also, read the INSTALL file to see if there are anything special you have to do.

Good luck

Linux Guru
    2: You shouldn't be using xanim at all. Go download MPlayer instead.

Just Joined!
    thanks for the quick replies, when i try to open videos i am using x-windows and just double clicking the icon so i know im noot messing that part up. i will get mplayer and try to install it but for some reason i can't ever get anything installed and working.
    Thanks
    Andrew
    PS: any more suggestions and tips are more than welcomed