Find the answer to your Linux question:
Right now i have the live cd of mepis linux. It has an option to do a harddrive install im not sure which version it all is. But for all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Does Mepis linux come with xfce ?

Right now i have the live cd of mepis linux. It has an option to do a harddrive install im not sure which version it all is. But for all you mepis users, although it comes with kde by default is there anyway i can switch the gui to xfce ?

Linux Engineer
    Yup, install XFCE over APT:
    Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get install xfce4
    Or something similar... If you can't find the package-name, run this one:
    Code:
    apt-cache search xfce
    I have to say, I am impressed over the huge development from 4.0 to 4.2... By the way, remember to change the default login (I think you can do it in KDM to, but if not try in the file "~/.xinitrc"

Just Joined!
    I just checked my pc, and it doesn't have a ethernet port so there is no way I can hook it up to the internet.

Mepis is running rediculously slow on the live cd for this machine. I think I will do a harddrive install asap. It is possible to download xfce and then switch kde on a mepis system to xfce right ?

Linux Engineer
    Yup. If you don't have ethernet, you can download the packages from a debian-respiratory manually on a other comp, transfer it over too that one (with USB-key or a burnt CD) and install it with "dpkg -i package.deb"... Remember too fetch all the dependencies as well.

Just Joined!
    If you have an open PCI slot, NICs are only like $15, FYI.

I installed Xfce via apt-get, and I was given the choice in KDM under 'session type' to run xfce. Works great, I've started using it full time. Though I use an older version, I think it's 4.0.something, from the debian servers, the unstable repositories, I think. I only have three minor issues, one is that foreign keyboard support is not implemented (well, I haven't gotten it to work), and openoffice throws some errors at me when I try to save. Also, I have to logout first, to KDM, before I can reboot or shutdown. I'm pretty sure that both of these are permission problems, but I'm too lazy to go about fixing them.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Engineer
    Xfce 4.2 looks better

Ok, I figured out that the OpenOffice thing had nothing to do with Xfce. And I have since upgraded to 4.2. It took the better part of an afternoon. It took an hour just to figure out that both the unstable and testing debian servers both have 4.0.5. I had to use the experimental server to install 4.2. But yes, it is better.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com