Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm setting up a CD server at work which requires the ripping of CDs to ISO format. For this, I'm using the dd utility. It rips fine and everything, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question about dd

I'm setting up a CD server at work which requires the ripping of CDs to ISO format. For this, I'm using the dd utility. It rips fine and everything, but is there anyway to get a status out of it while it's running? Ripping a CD takes a while, and it would be nice to give the user some feedback while it's happening, like a percentage done or an ETA or even a rotating slash (you know: /,-,\,|, etc.).

Maybe I'm not running the right tool for the job. dd works perfectly though and I can use it in a script.

Also, I've run into another problem. I want to be able to mount the ISOs and share them over the network. Sharing's not really a problem, but only root can mount ISOs, which I want to be able to do with a user named iso. I've heard there's a way of writing to fstab so that users can mount stuff. But I want the iso user to be able to manage the whole thing without sudo, su, or root intervention (required for fstab/mounting), which includes creating new ISOs and mounting them.

I'm going to work on the problems by myself, but any help would be much appreciated.

Linux Guru
    Your first question would probably get more response in the 'Linux Programming and Scripting' forum.

As to the second, I think that you will want to make each user a member of the iso group.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better