Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i am trying to install the DRI drivers for my Radeon 8500 (128 mb edition) video card to obtain 3d support. when i try to install, i get an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DRI installation support.

hi, i am trying to install the DRI drivers for my Radeon 8500 (128 mb edition) video card to obtain 3d support.
    when i try to install, i get an error telling me that my kernel module is too old and that the installation cannot continue. i have read that i need to use my xfree or dri module instead of the one that is provided by the kernel, but i have NO IDEA how to do this. there is currently a radeon.o module running that is provided by my kernel.

if anyone can help, please do.

-Mat

Linux Guru
    I don't know anything about the Radeon cards, since I've never had one, but I can tell you that to get a module for your kernel version, you will need to get the source code and recompile it against your kernel.
    I've also heard a lot of bad reports on getting the Radeon cards to work properly under Linux. It appears that the drivers aren't very good, but don't count on my information for that. Just try it and see.

Linux Engineer
    im not sure about the quality of it but ati did actually produce a linux driver specific to the 8500. make sure ur using this and not a generic radeon driver.

also, if u dont want to compile it, u could go looking for a driver that is compiled for ur kernel.

to find what kernel u have type
    Code:
    uname -r

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close