Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, i am running RH9 right now which came with GNOME 2.2 or somewhere thereabouts, I have used newer distros elsewhere and noticed that my beloved sidepane feature of GNOME ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

GNOME question

Hello, i am running RH9 right now which came with GNOME 2.2 or somewhere thereabouts, I have used newer distros elsewhere and noticed that my beloved sidepane feature of GNOME file browsers was missing! I couldn't find any way to make it appear. I posted this question on a help forum in the past but nobody repied so i thought i would try again. Does anyone know about this issue? Without the sidepane, GNOME sucks basicly and leaves me no other choice than to use KDE.
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Do you mean the side panel that has the folder name and things like the date? If so, try running nautilus like so:
    Code:
    nautilus --browser
    If that works (I have no idea if nautilus had that feature that long ago), then you can set that to be permanent. Go to any nautilus window and go to Edit>Preferences>Behavior. Check the box labelled "Always open in browser window". This will make sure that the side panel always opens.

Note: I am using GNOME 2.10 and it works here. I believe it also worked with 2.8. I have no idea if this will work with 2.2

Hope that helps,
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Yes, that was the sidepane i was talking about. On 2.2 GNOME it is there (that's what i'm running right now) but on 2.8 they removed it for some reason. Right now i don't have 2.8 to try that out on, but as soon as I switch to Debian Sarge i will test out what you suggested.

thanks!
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    No problem, let me know if you encounter any errors.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.