Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey none of the composite extensions are working in xfce. I have gotten them to work in kde 3.4 just to try something else, but I got rid of that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

composite extensions xfce

Hey none of the composite extensions are working in xfce. I have gotten them to work in kde 3.4 just to try something else, but I got rid of that too now, kde kept crashing either when kicker had 1% loaded or when 25% of the session was restored. Could the problems be linked? I added the composite option under extensions and allowglxwithcomposite, renderaccel under nvidia driver. Any ideas of whats wrong please?

Just Joined!
    Could you post your xorg.conf...would make it easier. I use XFCE and was having a similar problem....

God
    Just Joined!
    You've gotta install xcompmgr and transset, google them.

Linux Newbie
    Transset crashes my entire system when I start it. Xcompmgr works fine as long as I leave -c as the only option. Is there a reason it keeps crashing? I have nvidia drivers and use renderaccel option there. Is there any way of increasing stability?

Just Joined!
    xcompmgr is really flaky and still in "developmental" stages. I'm sure you've noticed the wonder when you type "xcompmgr -cf" or some other combo that causes your xserver to crash. With regards to transset...how is it crashing? Are you firing up
    Code:
    xcompmgr
    before you use it? it your xorg.cong setup properly?

Linux Newbie
    I usually use xcompmgr -c and then open up another and then transset. That immediately causes my computer to stop, the mouse moves, but the keyboard commands (Ctrl + Alt + Backspace, Ctrl + Alt + F1, etc..) have no effect.

Just Joined!
    The shadows are having problems with the transparency...like I said before this stuff is flaky. Try that same process without the '-c' and see if it works. A recommendation if I may, if you use XFCE, they apprently have a composite manager that's 100 times better and less error-prone than xcompmgr.

Linux Newbie
    And what would that be?

Just Joined!
    I haven't used it personally, but I believe it's already in the standard XFCE packages. I think you have to turn the option to use it 'on' while compiling the base packages. My roommate uses it and he hasn't had a single problem. Don't know the complete procedure...do some googling.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ibowtotux
    I haven't used it personally, but I believe it's already in the standard XFCE packages. I think you have to turn the option to use it 'on' while compiling the base packages. My roommate uses it and he hasn't had a single problem. Don't know the complete procedure...do some googling.
    According to the xfce website, you have to rebuild xfwm with --enable-compositor option. More info here in the FAQ:
    http://www.xfce.org/index.php?page=d...tation&lang=en