Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't like a cluttered desktop, and the KDE distro's that I have tried all list the mounts on the desktop ie -- cdroms, harddrives, zips, etc. Gnome seems to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trying to move mount points off of desktop KDE

I don't like a cluttered desktop, and the KDE distro's that I have tried all list the mounts on the desktop ie -- cdroms, harddrives, zips, etc. Gnome seems to put them in a folder named like "my places" or "devices" or "my computer". How can I put them in a folder like Gnome or on the taskbar (that would be cool) and remove them from the desktop? I am afraid to just remove them without knowing how to install them elsewhere. It is keeping me from just exprementing into the solution

Thanks
    Kezz

Linux Guru
    The links are usually just to the mount point and don't contain instructions or anything.Just cut an d paste to a location or drag to a taskbar (kde).

To make one just right click and go new > device > harddisk ...

Then you can specify the link location. Usually somewhere in /mnt.

I use SUSE, and I don't have all of those mount points on my desktop, they are in /mnt.
    Andthe cd/dvd are in "My Computer".
    I have a total of 7 icons on my desktop.
    I don't like a cluttered desktop either and all of my icons are off to the side.

And my other disros have even less icons.
    Except for Vector and Yoper.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

In KDE, there is an option under the control center to hide all icons. Not only do I not like a cluttered desktop, I have given up on desktop icons all together
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Engineer
    There's some place also a option for which devices which should be shown on the desktop, simply turn off all devices... I think it was if you selected "configure desktop" or something in the desktop menu, and somewhere there you'd find it.