Find the answer to your Linux question:
After reading a bit, i've downloaded Kernel 2.6.8 images for AMDK7, and installed the NVidia Kernel Modules. Then, i went to the XF86Config-4, and changed my Card configuration, changed the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with resolution

After reading a bit, i've downloaded Kernel 2.6.8 images for AMDK7, and installed the NVidia Kernel Modules. Then, i went to the XF86Config-4, and changed my Card configuration, changed the module for nvidia instead of nv.
    Rebooted it, no real problems at all, but then, when it started, i saw the Nvidia logo and it dumped me back to 1024x768 resolution (i was using 1280x960). The Gnome configuration and the KDE configuration just had the options 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768. I made a test, switched to nv back again, and rebooted. It worked, there was my resolution. Whats the problem with it? Would the module think my card wouldn't support that resolution? There is any way to fix it (I love playing games such as Unreal Tournament, Half-Life and etc, and with nv module it work work)?

OFF-TOPIC: after i installed 2.6 kernel, my shutdown command ends with this:

Code:
    hda: Shutdown
    Power Down
    It doesn't power-down itself. I have to press and hold the power button to make it shut down. Whats the problem with it?

Re: Problem with resolution

Quote Originally Posted by Vercetti
    Rebooted it, no real problems at all, but then, when it started, i saw the Nvidia logo and it dumped me back to 1024x768 resolution (i was using 1280x960).
    Go back to your /etc/X11/XF86config-4 and Look for a section marked "Display":

Code:
    Section "Screen"
        Identifier  "Screen 1"
        Device      "Monitor Brand"
        Monitor     "Generic Multisync"
        DefaultDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
            Depth       24
            Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubsection
    See the section called "Modes"? The first resolution is the default that X will try to display, and if it can't it will cycle through the other resolutions in the order they're typed until it hits one that works. If you want your default resolution to be 1280x960, add that line in front of "1024x768" so that your Modes line looks like this:

Code:
      Modes       "1280x960" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    There is any way to fix it (I love playing games such as Unreal Tournament, Half-Life and etc, and with nv module it work work)?
    You shouldn't have any trouble playing UT, but there is no native Linux client for Half-Life.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Its already like that for all color depths, 24, 16, 8 and 4... Its just a guess, but maybe theres a spare configuration for the Nvidia module, or its hiding the resolutions that "my monitor cant display". Oh, and by UT, i mean the graphics won't run with nv module (I use cedega to emulate it)...

Its already like that for all color depths, 24, 16, 8 and 4... Its just a guess, but maybe theres a spare configuration for the Nvidia module, or its hiding the resolutions that "my monitor cant display".
    Are your sync rates set up correctly? If you monitor can display 1280x960, perhaps it can't display them at the refresh rate you're trying to use.

Oh, and by UT, i mean the graphics won't run with nv module (I use cedega to emulate it)...
    You don't need to emulate UT. There's native Linux clients available, and even installers that let you use the MS Windows CDs. (Link Here)
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Well, my Monitor manuals are gone, so there's any way i can find my sync rates?

Well, my Monitor manuals are gone, so there's any way i can find my sync rates?
    Hmm... I guess you don't still have the box lying around either, do you? Mine was on the box. You might also check and see if the sync rates are on a site that sells your particular monitor. They sometimes give details like that.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants