Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
How can I change desktops without using the mouse in KDE? I thought that Alt-F<n> where n is from 1-6 would work but nothing happens. When I try Ctrl-Alt-F<n>, it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

virtual console in KDE

How can I change desktops without using the mouse in KDE? I thought that Alt-F<n> where n is from 1-6 would work but nothing happens. When I try Ctrl-Alt-F<n>, it works but if I just want to change X desktops, Alt-F<n> isn't working. To I need to enable something?

bp
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    The CTRL+ALT+F<n> keys are kernel keys (or at least hooked by the X server itself... I'm not sure about the exact level of it while running X), which explains why they're working. The ALT+F<n> keys and virtual desktops are managed by the window manager, so the configuration for it is surely among the window manager options. I haven't used KDE very much though, so I can't tell more exactly.

Linux Enthusiast
    try CTRL-ALT-<right arrow>
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Engineer

KDE

After posting the original message, it occured to me that there are bindings for the window managers. Since I use Window like theme, Alt-F4 would obviously kill a program.
    I'm going to have to try the arrow key and see if that works. I'll also look and see if this can be configured using the configuration tool in KDE.

bp

Linux User
    it used to work in KDE and still does - im guessing you have redhat 8.0 and no longer think it does? When you login select KDE from the session at the bottom and things will be a little better

For some reason Redhat didn't include that in their default Bluecurve theme (dumb)
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Engineer

debian linux

MajorWoo,
    Actually I'm running debian linux. Does this actually work?

Was121,
    Ctrl-Alt-right arrow didn't work either.

I'm guessing that the window manager needs to be tweaked here.

bp

Linux User
    im not sure then, ive only had much experience with redhat although i would have always assymed it was part of the window manager not the distro
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Engineer

solved

After looking at KDE's config menu for sometime, I found that by pressing the Windows key + F<n> worked out. However, only the LEFT windows key was able to do this and the right Windows key didn't work at all.

bp

Linux Enthusiast
    did you set up your keyboard correctly? You might be using a 105 key keyboard with a 101 keyboard map. Just a guess. I don't know how to check it on Debian either. Sorry.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Guru
    Using a 105 key keyboard with a 101 keyboard map shouldn't matter, though. The scan codes are still the same. But isn't this just reconfigurable by editing the WM's key bindings? I haven't used KDE seriously, so I wouldn't know, but I can't imagine otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast