Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
So i am new to all this and i installed mepis. So far so good, i like it. I have been looking at screenshots of other desktops and people have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

desktop enhansments

So i am new to all this and i installed mepis. So far so good, i like it. I have been looking at screenshots of other desktops and people have weather info, calendar, radar images, and computer temp. How do i go about getting that stuff to be on my desktop.

Thanks, Landon

Which Window Manager are you using? On KDE I like using SuperKaramba, but gDesklets and GNOME are nice too. gkrellm is a good system monitor docklet.

Just Joined!
    maybe i should do some more reading... what is superKaramba, gdesklets and gnome?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Take a look at www.kde-look.org

On the left, you will find a link 'Karamba'. Click on it and read . And do a Google search for Superkaramba. Make sure you install 0.36 (if you have a recent distro).
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

GNOME and KDE are the two biggest WM's, and you are probably using one of the two. gDesklets, SuperKaramba, and gkrellm are things that make your desktop "pretty" and "enhanced"

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys. kde is the WM i am using. Is there a big diffrence between gnome and kde?

Linux Engineer
    KDE is the default in mepis so I assume you use KDE. Try using this command in a commandline:
    Code:
    su
    apt-get update
    apt-get install superkaramba
    exit
    The "su" command makes you root in a terminal, root=the sysadmin, can earse the /-disk if want to, so be careful!

"apt-get" is a commandline utility for debian and debian-based distros which downloads and installs packages automaticly for you, but you have to be root to do so. "apt-get update" updates apt's list of installable applications and versions, so you should so this some times to keep the package-list up2date. "apt-get install <package>" installs the desired package for you. the "exit" command returns you to the user you where before you ran "su", and if you retype it you will exit the terminal. Start superkaramba by simply typing "superkaramba" in a terminal, download a superkaramba-theme from here and load it with superkaramba. An other option is to run this in the terminal (as a normal user ofcourse):
    Code:
    superkaramba /home/user/location-of-the-theme/script.theme
    Other commands worth to know on mepis/debian/ubuntu etc.:
    apt-cache search <name> = searches the package-list for the given name to find your package
    apt-get remove <name> = uninstall the package
    dpkg -i <package.deb> = installs a debian-package (.deb) manually

MAN is also very handy on linux/unix systems, "man commandname" in a terminal give you info about the command.

SuperKaramba is the prog used to show the "desklets" on your desktop, gDesklets is an equivalent for gnome. Gnome is like KDE, but different. Here's some screenshots of gnome: http://linux1.no/modules.php?set_alb...view_album.php
    For more info about gnome check here: http://www.gnome.org

Linux Engineer
    There showed up three new posts before I was done making the reply!

Just Joined!
    Thanks jaboua, you many questions that i had in my head.

Actually, KDE has many things by itself, including a weather applet, sistem monitors (processor usage, network load...), ...

For karamba themes, go to www.kde-look.org (for gnome, www.gnome-look.org).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast