Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys. I installed SuSE for the first time on one of my old computers, just to see what it was like. I loved it, but then it stuffed up. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

:(runlevel 5 error (please help!!):(

Hi guys. I installed SuSE for the first time on one of my old computers, just to see what it was like. I loved it, but then it stuffed up.

I decided to try out Gnome, so I logged into that. I had done it before, but I didn't stick around there for more than 5 mins. So, after I logged int this time, and then rebooted the computer, I got an error saying "runlevel 5 error", and on the side in red it said "alsasound". If I wanted to use the OS, I had to use the command line, and being a noob, I had no idea how to (but from what I could tell, the rest of the OS was fine besides the graphics). Please help!!

Thanx in advance.

alsasound is the linux sound driver (advanced linux sound archetecture, alsa) but is there any way that you can get a more explicit version of the error you recieved?

you can also try typing startx into the terminal to start your xserver (the core of graphical interfaces under *nix type systems)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Yeah, sure. It says:

Code:
    Master Resource Control: runlevel 5 has been                  reached
    Failed services in runlevel 5:                                alsasound kbd
    Skipped services in runlevel 5: isdn smnfs nfs sshd powersaved cups postfix nscd hwscan cron xdm
    Then, it has the command interface saying "linux login"

BTW, if I type "startx" (after logging in) it says "No startx installed"

Thanx again!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    you might try starting out with xorgconfig, and answer all questions correctly.