Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm kinda new to linux (I have played with it before, never got into it, then installed kubuntu and have used that for just over a month, now I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gnome, Glade, GTK???

Hi, I'm kinda new to linux (I have played with it before, never got into it, then installed kubuntu and have used that for just over a month, now I have just switched to ubuntu).

I prefer ubuntu and gnome to kubuntu and kde so I'm probably going to make the change permenent soon (I'm running ubuntu from a 13 gig hdd i had spare - installed it earlier today). I was looking around and i liked what i saw and then i found out about something called glade and something galled gtk. I gathered that they were something to do with programming (I'm not quite that dense) and that gtk/glade is an interface design thing but what do they all do? I want to learn to program (either in ruby or c++, any reccommendations?) and think gtk and glade may be useful - if only I knew what to use them for.

Thanks in advance

Linux Engineer
    GTK is a graphics library for making widgets, for example the gnome suite and firefox is built entirely on GTK. GTK is a C-library, but bindings for for example python etc. exists. Glade is an app which makes designing GUI's easy since the design is done graphical.

Easy explanations of glade and GTK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glade_Interface_Designer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTK

Just Joined!
    Thanks very much for the reply, I think I understand them both a bit better, now I just have to learn a language to program in... probably will choose ruby.

Linux Newbie
    Glade is very nice to use - I've only used it for a bit and it's really nice to use

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    firefox is built entirely on GTK
    Firefox can be built with either gtk 1, gtk 2, qt, or xlib. Though, about 99% of the builds are with gtk 2.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by valan
    Firefox can be built with either gtk 1, gtk 2, qt, or xlib. Though, about 99% of the builds are with gtk 2.
    I never knew... I always thought it was only available in GTK2