Find the answer to your Linux question:
I chose GNOME when I installed mandrake 9.1, I have since decided I didint like it. i would like to go back to kde. how do I make it my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how do i change default desktop environment?

I chose GNOME when I installed mandrake 9.1, I have since decided I didint like it. i would like to go back to kde. how do I make it my default desktop? thx.

All you have to do is edit your /etc/rc.conf. Look for the line that begins with XSESSION= and just replace gnome with kde-3.1 and that should do it.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    no such file. :/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    flw
    Linux Engineer
    The assumption is that you have installed any version KDE during initial install or after. If you have not, download and install it. Then you'll be able to pickup this post where it was left. And post which version you installed.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    i reinstalled lol. cant stand going to such lengths just to change default desktop. :/

Just Joined!

That's one way to fix it! LOL

But gnome is better

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ventricle
    But gnome is better
    That is all a matter of opinion.

but why the reinstall? isn't there something in Mandrake that allows you to choose the Desktop environment before you login as your user? Redhat allows it after the boot is all done and it is just waiting for you to login and what not. Don't remember much from my Mandrake 8.0 days. Sorry. but glad to see you got it anyways. even if you did do it the hard way.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

Just Joined!

primary desktop

I changed my Primary desktop to GNOME in Free Suse 10.1 and want to change it back via the console ( in fail safe mode ) and don't know how to?

pango fonts aren't working, eek! So, the GNOME interface in having a LOT of trouble.

Isn't there a command/file that controls what the default desktop environment is in the system files, or a file that I can edit that can make the gui login screen start, so I can change the default desktop environment. Rather than the OS startup, boot strait to the desktop environment, GNOME. I assume so because there is a way to change desktop environments via the gui login screen, thus it only makes sense to me that you can via the fail safe console.

Please help!