Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I'm new to linux and would like to setup a vnc server so that i can access it from my other windows xp sp2 pc. I am using Suse ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VNC problem

Hi
    I'm new to linux and would like to setup a vnc server so that i can access it from my other windows xp sp2 pc. I am using Suse Linux 9.3.

far as i now that the server is running because after i enter the command 'netstat -an | more' in the console and i get this in the results:

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5801 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5901 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

According to the tutorial at: http://www.linuxforums.org/tutorials...orial-973.html

that means the server is running. but when i use a vnc viewer on a windows machine it says that there it can't find the server. the address i enter in the vnc server is '192.168.1.4:5901' that the ip of the linux machine.

Can any one please help me with this problem please.

Linux Engineer
    Are you running an X-server in addition to the VNC server? Try connecting to 192.168.1.4 or 192.168.1.4:0 or 192.168.1.4:1 since the :0 at the last is the number of the X-server, starting at 0 and increasing. If I run both a local X-server and a seperate VNC-session here, it works to connect to localhost:1

Just Joined!
    I have tried it with 1 and 0 and still it fails to connect to the server.

i am using tightvnc that i think came with suse.

does suse 9.3 have built in firewall that is blocking the ports because i haven't installed a firewall on it and if so how do i go about finding out how to open the ports.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by aceafty
    I have tried it with 1 and 0 and still it fails to connect to the server.

i am using tightvnc that i think came with suse.

does suse 9.3 have built in firewall that is blocking the ports because i haven't installed a firewall on it and if so how do i go about finding out how to open the ports.
    Yes suse has firewall and it is on by default. Go to YAST and i think its under Security... don't recall for sure but it's there.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?