Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Somebody please help me fix this. Its been 3 months now. Supposedly I need to install XFree86 4 before I install a generic driver that Nvidia has provided. XFree86 is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Desperate to get XWindows working with Asus Geforce2 MX card

Somebody please help me fix this. Its been 3 months now. Supposedly I need to install XFree86 4 before I install a generic driver that Nvidia has provided. XFree86 is a whole set of directories and I could not find an installer. How do I know which XF86 to install
    How do I go about installing it ? When I download a file drom windows to a floppy disk. Can I use the files on that floppy in Linux ?
    I have Red Hat Linux 8.0.
    Also please explain to me the partitioning and directories hierarchy in Linux.

Thanks a billion in advance.

Linux Guru
    First of all, have you managed to get internet access in Linux? The XFree source tree is far over 100 MBs, so you can't just transfer it over on a floppy. But yes, you can read FAT filesystems on Linux.

Linux Engineer
    rpm.pbone.net

u should be able to get binaries of the latest XFree here totalling about 30-40mb for everythgin u need (until u find u need 100mb of dependencies....)

and if u can get internet access in linux use lynx or some other terminal based browser to download them coz IMO its faster than windoze

Just Joined!

No internet access in Linux.

Hi HellMasker n Dolda2000 !

I dont have an internet connection right now but the only way I can connect is using a 56k dialup. How do I configure lynx or any terminal based browser to run using this modem. Do I need a special driver for the modem or does Linux ship a generic driver. Could you explain the directory structure and basic hierarchy after a default installation of RedHat 8.0. Im extremely confused about the directories.

Cheers !
    :o

Linux Guru
    That depends on the modem. If it's a normal, good external modem, then it's probably not much trouble. If it's a Winmodem, however (ie. one of those built-in stupidified controller-less cards that are oh so commonly shipped with new computers), then you might be in for a world of trouble to make it work. Some work pretty well, but no Winmodem works out-of-the-box in Linux (they require special driver which are often only made for Windoze, hence the name). See http://www.linmodems.org/ for more information.

As for the directory structure, it has been answered in brief a long time ago. See this old post for the answer. Just ask again if there are any more details you're wondering about.

Linux Engineer
    if u have an internal modem its most likely a winmodem. check here to find out roughly how to isntall it. the important bits are findign the model number (mine is 14f1:1085 jsut so u know what kinda thing the serial number looks like) then going to linmodems.org and finidng the right driver for it.

once thats done u shoudl run whatever network setup wizard redhat uses.

then the dial command is "ifup ppp0"

once ur online just type lynx and it should be kinda clear how it works

Just Joined!

Have an external Modem

Hey guys ! I got a D link 56 kbps external modem. I presume all I need to do is plug it in and start up linux for it to work cuz its a pretty famous external modem. So Im gonna ifup ppp0 < Telephone Number > to connect and get myself online today.

Thanks a ton. Will get back soon.

Just Joined!

Installed NVidia driver but it says no screens dont have us

Hey Dolda, Hellmasker !

I've finally installed Xfree86 4.2 and installed the Nvidia driver for my Asus GeForce 2 Graphics card but X still refuses to start. I have edited the XF86Config file and changed driver="nvidia" as specified in the readme file that came with the driver. The following are the errors I received when I do a startx:

(EE) NVIDIA(0) : No Horizsync values remaining
    (EE) NVIDIA(0) : No modes remaining for display device CRTO
    (EE) NVIDIA(0) : Aborting
    (EE) NVIDIA(0) : Screens found but none have usable config.

What does it take to startx ? Guys ....
    Until later...

Linux Guru
    It seems that you either have a non-standard monitor or a badly set up Monitor section in your XF86Config.

Can you send me the files /var/log/XFree86.0.log and /etc/X11/XF86Config? They are too long to present in a post, but I will put them up on my HTTP server and link to them here.
    Also, what monitor (manufacturer and model) do you have?

Just Joined!

XF86Config and XF86 Log file

Hi Dolda !!!

I have sent the files to your mail id @
    fredrik@dolda2000.cjb.net

Cant wait to get it work and come across newer problems.

Thanks,
    maximus :o

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast