Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a really crappy old HP that I want to turn into a VNC terminal. It will be hooking up with an XP machine so if possible I'd like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

VNC Terminal

I have a really crappy old HP that I want to turn into a VNC terminal. It will be hooking up with an XP machine so if possible I'd like something to work with remote desktop. I need a VNC OS or whatever you install on such machines. I figure that if anyone has a solution for this the linux world would. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Linux Engineer
    There aren't any VNC OS, but there are lots of distros you can install a VNC-server on, and then you just use a VNC client to connect. Also remember that you will have to install the graphical enviroment (called X) to be able to use VNC, if you just want commandline, use ssh.

Linux Newbie
    So then the anwser to this is to get a really slim distro of linux and make it nothing but the kernel and the VNC viewer?

Alright, but can you point me towards a program that takes advantage of the Remote Desktop protocol in XP. This connection moves a bit smoother than VNC.

Linux Engineer
    Not only the kernel, if you want the graphical, you need an X-server and all its dependencies in addition, but this should'nt bee an issue with most distros. I never used XP on my own computer, and when I used windows I did'nt use any remote desktops, but if you look at a site like download.com you probably will find one...