Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright guys ... I need your help, as always. I downloaded fluxbox for Redhat 8 and have gone through their little How To, and as always ... its not working ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Help with Fluxbox

Alright guys ... I need your help, as always. I downloaded fluxbox for Redhat 8 and have gone through their little How To, and as always ... its not working and I can't make heads or tails of the whole thing. here is the page for the How To

http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/docbo...c89.html#AEN91

I come across a few problems.

a) I DON'T HAVE EITHER .XINITRC OR .XSESSIONS !!
    b) for some odd reason i do have .xsessions-errors, but that doesn't help me none.

I start up not using startx, so i should be using the part about .xsessions and what not. Once again, RH8 is ticking me off to the point of almost wanting to go back to XP ... almost is the key word there. Please help ya'll! :opps:
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

Linux Newbie
    oh and never mind about this one guys, i eventually got it to work ... kind of. what I eventually did was create a file called .xsessions in my $home directory. then put in the exec /usr/local/sbin/fluxbox line in there and saved it as such. then after reading some other posts and threads, i just figured to change my runlevel to 3, then rebooting ... and then manually going into x with startx.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

Just Joined!
    Is there a reason in particular that you are using fluxbox?
    Redhat is OK, but if you are familliar with linux, why not choose something you have a bit more control over and redhat haven't hacked about so much at?

You can create your .xinitrc file yourself. You were right, it isn't there by default, but just create it

Here's mine.
    $ cat .xinitrc
    #superkaramba /home/ajt/graphics/themes/karamba-themes/greencurve/greencurve.theme &
    xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"
    #startkde
    gnome-session
    #bsetbg -f /home/ajt/graphics/backgrounds/gentoo1280x1024.jpg &
    #exec idesk &
    #exec fluxbox
    If and when I break gnome, I just use one of the others till I fix it
    startx