Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just installed slack 10.1 and was wondering if there was anyway that I could have a graphical lgin, and a choice of window manager on login. Thanks onlinebacon...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Any way to have a login screen on Slack 10.1?

Hi,

I just installed slack 10.1 and was wondering if there was anyway that I could have a graphical lgin, and a choice of window manager on login.

Thanks

onlinebacon

Linux User
    I don't know about package availability, but I'm using and liking Slim for a login manager. XDM is of course included with Xorg and Xfree, but it tends to add a bunch of junk to your home directory. The same goes for GDM, plus it has a bunch of Gnome dependencies. KDM and WDM I'm not familiar with, but again they have dependencies on KDE and Windowmaker respectively.

Slim does what it's supposed to, plain and simple. Simple configuration, simple functionality, no messes.
    http://slim.berlios.de/

I haven't used it, but it looks like if you set your .xinitrc to load selectwm (with a root window background set if you want a smooth transition), then you'll have everything you want.
    http://ordiluc.net/selectwm/

And here's a hint, if you want the xserver to use a black background instead of that ugly gray then set your /etc/slim.conf to include xserver_arguments -br
    You can also do this in your startx script.

Of course, a lot of the *DM login managers integrate the functionality of selectwm, but from my brief encounters with them it's a pain to configure much of anything.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Linux Enthusiast
    Thanks for the quick reply

Linux Engineer
    You could (as root) modify the default runlevel in /etc/inittab, I think you need to set it to 4 in slackware to start a login manager automaticly.

you need to change the runlevel to 4 to have a graphical login manager at startup in /etc/inittab
    # Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
    id:3:initdefault:
    change 3 to 4, also in /etc/rc.d/rc.4 you can change the default graphical login manager to use by moving each one the to the top of the list depending on which one you want
    # Try to use GNOME's gdm session manager:
    if [ -x /usr/bin/gdm ]; then
    exec /usr/bin/gdm -nodaemon
    fi
    you might want to take a look at entrance as a login manager, the default ones aren't that great
    http://xcomputerman.com/pages/images...taillights.png

Linux Enthusiast
    Thanks for the replies dudes,

Problem solved