Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I got this weird problem. I used to run my apt updates with a script and I mis-understood some apt flags, so the thing was replacing my config ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No keyboard on KDE, works fine on prompt

Hey guys,

I got this weird problem. I used to run my apt updates with a script and I mis-understood some apt flags, so the thing was replacing my config files.

As a result, I lost my keyboard. After playing around a bit I noticed that the kb worked fine if I disabled auto-login and switched to the prompt. Now, my login routine involves going to the console login, do nothing and waiting a bit until the GUI login pops up again, then keyboard works fine.

I've tried to search for a solution to this but to no success.

I run Morphix/Debian/Unstable, Kernel is 2.4.21

Linux Engineer
    Have you checked if the kerybord entry in the XF86Config-4 file is OK? (think it was xfree on debian). Also, sometimes, KDE is setup to use some other keybord-map, have you checked in kcontrol that the correct keybord-map is chosen?

Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    Have you checked if the kerybord entry in the XF86Config-4 file is OK? (think it was xfree on debian).
    Right the first time, the file is /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (just checked in morphix now).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies.

I had a look at /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 but everything seemed ok, to the best of my humble knowledge. Then I googled "XF86Config-4" and found out that you could reconfigure your XFree86 using:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
    dexconf

I did so, stumbled upon some screen errors and after some experimenting got everything working nicely again.

However, at the KDE login screen, right after booting, still no keyboard. I gotta use the mouse to go back to the prompt, wait a bit for the login screen pop up again, then I have keyboard.

Just Joined!

I am having the same problem.

I have the same problem just after logging in. I don't understand how you got the keyboard back. I had to logout and log back in as another user.

Quote Originally Posted by jgte
    However, at the KDE login screen, right after booting, still no keyboard. I gotta use the mouse to go back to the prompt, wait a bit for the login screen pop up again, then I have keyboard.